Bent knife problem

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James

Reaction score
I've been working on thinning and prettying up one of my knives, but I've encountered a problem. The knife is bent. When the knife is laid on a flat table on the convexed side, the tip of the knife comes to about 1mm above the surface of the table. On the other side, the middle is raised.

Is this a problem that I can fix myself or is it something better left to a professional?

The knife in question is a 240 mm Takagi honyaki if that changes anything.

Jon at Japanese Knife Imports recently posted a video regarding this. You can see how he did it or you could send your knife to him or others. I had a knife straightened by The Epicurean Edge with positive results so I can recommend them as an alternative.

-AJ

Jon at Japanese Knife Imports recently posted a video regarding this. You can see how he did it or you could send your knife to him or others. I had a knife straightened by The Epicurean Edge with positive results so I can recommend them as an alternative.

-AJ
Do you have a URL for Jon's video?

ahh thanks for the help ajhuff; I spent some time looking for the video and couldn't find it on Jon's youtube channel. I don't think I trust myself with straightening the blade and may end up either breaking it or making it much worse (think wavy).

I'll bring it to Korin in the coming weeks and see what Mr. Sugai can do about it. If that falls through, I'll get it to EE or Jon.

Back