Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cut Brooklin on NPR

Cut Brooklin on NPR

Did anyone else hear the interview with the Cut Brooklyn guy this weekend? I didn't catch the beginning the heard the radio mention heat treatment and that piqued my interest. he went on and on about all the things we discuss around here. Steel, blade profile, grind, heat treatment, handles..... Said that he sells his knives with a wonky handles for over $600. i almost spit my coffee out at that point. He didn't come across as omniscient or omnipotent but did say that he has a waiting list for his kitchen knives. I think he has three guyto profiles and one petty.

Just curious if anyone else hear the episode. Thoughts?

This makes me wonder if a knife-centric podcast could work.

How on EARTH is this dude getting all the press?

I mean, I just never hear about anyone but him and Bob Kramer getting interviewed for mainstream stuff like this. Makes me

Looking forward to listening to it!

I think it's the name Cut Brooklyn. It's young, hip, fresh and has Brooklyn in it. I think it's a grass roots/cool factor, factor. If I had some skills and could make knives, and called the company Detroit Cutlery, I think it would garner me some attention by name alone. Call it the McClure's Pickles effect. Detroit and Brooklyn are hot topics, especially if it's old school artisan stuff. News outlets need interesting and fresh content, and a interesting brand/name/image serves it up more easily. Just a thought.

I gotta listen to the interview now lol.

Eamon, Agreed. His knives look like craft as opposed to professional kitchen tools. the handles are weird and he uses O1 steel. You would know better than I if its a good steel for knives or not, but i haven't heard much about it.

O1 is a fine tool steel. His knives are not bad. Lots of people dig the handles, I'd say it's probably worth $600, especially if you are into supporting the Handmade-in-Brooklyn thing.

But I mean, why has nobody interviewed Michael Rader(whose work impresses every single person I've ever shown it to) for the past 2 years while the same two guys get several magazines, countless blogs, web-video promos, a few tv shows, radio interviews, etc etc? KnowwhatImean? Is there some hidden force at work here?

I don't think anything negative about it, I just think it's odd how life works. Stuff just happens to people, seemingly at random. I would really like for the world to make sense, but the rain falls on the righteous and the wicked, as a wise man said.

Quote Originally Posted by Larrin View Post
    This makes me wonder if a knife-centric podcast could work.
    It could. Maybe only monthly or so, but it would work.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

It seems as if there has been a strong effort on the revitalization of the Brooklyn scene. There has been a lot of money put into the area, especally the past two years. Anything Brooklyn is going to be getting lots of press just as a by product of the general hype especially had made local stuff. Like Eamon, nothing against his product, but he is certainly in the right place at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    It could. Maybe only monthly or so, but it would work.
    I agree, monthly would probably have to be the goal. Weekly would be much too ambitious.