Quantcast
need new camera advice please......
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need new camera advice please......

need new camera advice please......

hey guys i need some advice....i have a canoon powershot sd1000 right now...i think it takes pretty good pictures......my friend wants to buy a new fancy shmansy camera.....for the honeymoon to hawaii,,,,,i have no idea about cameras....all i sue on my camera is turning the flash off and the macro setting for closeups....i need something if it exists that could possibly take a better picture than what i got....she is pretty set on getting a camera so i need a suggestion!.....i really have no idea about settings etc but i am willing to learn a little...i aint building a friggin darkroom or anything so....please keep any replies in english....not camera talk!....thanks for any suggestions......budget is up in the air right now......at least a couple hundred....maybe more depending on the laws of diminishing returns.....ryan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

viva la revolucion !

I got my wife the Cannon S100 for Xmas...it's a compact camera, so it fits in a pocket easily and takes the best photos of any compact out there (if my research is correct). On par with an entry-level dSLR in a wide range of conditions.

We've been quite pleased with ours...esp since it's small, so we frequently have it with us.

My $.02
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

"We've been quite pleased with ours...esp since it's small, so we frequently have it with us."

It is hard to overestimate the importance of this for a traveling camera.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

How much are you wanting to spend? Whoops just saw a couple of hundred.

i would say on the high end...if u asked her she'd say a thousand....if u asked me...id say 4-600.....if it'd be worth it...by worth it i mean better quality pictures....i don't know how much better the quality would be than what i have...ya know...ryan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

viva la revolucion !

We just purchased this one after reviewing point and shoot cameras:

Panasonic Lumix ZS15

I would look at the Nikon 1 series for a small camera in your budget, that I am sure would capture some excellent photos.

PowerShot SX40 HS is under $400. It is point and shoot, with a lot of high end features.

If you want one of the power-zoom cameras, i.e. you want to take a picture of a whale off Kauai while standing on the beach in Maui (just kidding...) the PowerShot SX40 or the Lumix FZ150 are both nice from what I hear with the Canon a bit cheaper (but the Lumix has a Leica lens, and since most of my family worked for them at some point, they are much better, of course ). But they are bigger cameras.

For something cute you can put in your pocket, the Lumix ZS15 or ZS20 look like a great travel cameras. And unless you want to see your pictures on a 84" screen or print large posters, that should be all you need. I actually prefer the ZS15 because of the maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 sec. That means that in the very bright light in Hawaii, you will get very short exposure times - less likely to overexpose your pictures.

The Canon S100, Olympus ZX-1, Lumix LX5 or 7 are one step up in picture quality, but they have less zoom to catch far-away objects and instead let you do all kinds of fancy manual things you may not have much interest in. All of those have a point and shoot program, I use a few Lumix cameras and they call it 'intelligent auto' - works like a charm. You can switch on face recognition, so the camera recognizes that there are people and automatically focuses on faces - also works great (I assume most have this now, but I know that it works really well in Panasonic cameras). Personally, I would not go for the Nikon 1 series in your case because then you would have to get different lenses and fiddle around with that.

So, if I were to recommend or give one to my Dad as a replacement (which I may do for Christmas) that requires little maintenance and is easy to handle, I would go for the Panasonic Lumix ZS15. But in the end this is like the question 'Which knife should I buy?'

My 2 cts.

Stefan

Canon t4i 650d.... that camera is great and you can record good full hd video with it.