A good hunting knife that will also skin.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joec

Founding Member
Reaction score
OK I posted here because not sure this would be a kitchen knife more a per-kitchen knife or butcher knife. I will be hunting in Washington State later this year with my son which has deer, bear, elk and moose and will need a good hunting knife as I've not hunted since the early 80's. I bought a new rifle, scope and setup for that area in a 45-70 Gov as it is wooded and tight. I want a good knife that will take and edge and hold it through a full cleaning of a carcass before needing attention. I also don't want to spend as as I have for my kitchen knives so please keep it around a max of $100 please. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I'm on a tight budget.

Shrade sharpfinger by old timer. been using mine for twenty five years and it was my dad's before me. Best skinning knife I ever used you can get one for under twenty bucks at walmart.
You can find an old US made carbon steel one on ebay cheap. The new ones are made of stainless and are from china. My understanding is the new ones are still pretty good.

My dad used to use his Buck knife for skinning, and dressing. but I am told now that they aren't worth what they were in the 70's. I have nothing other than that.

I've used most of the popular offerings on deer and have a strong preference for the Gerber Gator Drop Point (Not Gator II) Good blade, balance feels "right", grip works well even when slick. http://www.gerberknivesdirect.com/gator_06064.html

Skinning is esp tough on blade, a small diamond plate is worth having along. Gerber also makes a small saw for quartering that will work on deer but would not want to take on a moose or elk with it.

If you feel like reaching deeper, G. Sakai makes (made?) some nice hunting knives. A lot of them seem more show than go now.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks guys and used to own a buck also years ago. I haven't hunted in a good 40 years so haven't really kept up. I do carry a sharping kit with me so have that covered.

PM sent; I have way too many hunting knives!!

Also, I recommend getting one of those cheap Gerber EZ Zip to zip the animals open. They take regular triangular razor blades, but really save the edge on the knife not having to cut thru the hide and hair. Or a Wyoming Knife, same thing, but it has a blade on the outside, too, to slice the hide to make the opening for the zipper part of the tool.

I actually went over to my neighbor Walmart and picked up the Schrade sharpfinger by old timer for $15. I also have a 13" blade Kentucky Bowie and a 10" standard Bowie also made by Schrade. They all hold a edge pretty good. So figured for the price I will give it a try especially after reading the suggestion here and the reviews on several sights about them. If it doesn't work out then I will go with something else so thanks guys the input was appreciated.

Another one Wally World sells is Uncle Mikes I think, An ugly green rubber handled thing. About $25 or so here. The steel is surprisingly very good.

Back