Quantcast
Weird hollandaise
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weird hollandaise

Weird hollandaise

I was watching a food show and the feature restaurant made hollandaise as I've never seen it done before.

The chef used a 1 litre (4 cups) plastic container of eggs, added cold water and vinegar to them in a bowl and whisked "until you can't see the water anymore." The volume increase was huge. Then he added 250ml (1 cup) of melted butter, whisked it in and finished with lemon juice.

This seemed like a really weird method, not to mention the unconventional ratio of eggs to butter.

Ever seen anything like this?

When I said 1 litre plastic container of eggs above, I meant egg yolks of course.

The method doesn't seem all that odd to me. The description of "until you can't see the water anymore" sounds a bit funny. I use water and vinegar and usually whisk for 2-20 minutes dependent on the number of yolks and my volume increases at least 4x. The ratio is definitely very odd to me though, thats about 48 yolks to 8oz butter. Sounds too eggy for my tastebuds.

much more awesomer
    I've not made it recently, but it's similar to other emulsions, right? So yeah, the ratios seem way way way off, and from what I had learned, the lemon or other acid should come in near the beginning. Clari butter has fairly high viscosity at pouring temperatures that aren't too hot, but the ratio above is backwards. Two acidified yolks to five ounces of clarified butter is how I learned to do it.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

I had to do it.

Salty i worship your right arm

much more awesomer
    Care to whip me up some zabaglione for the luscious fresh field strawberries I picked up yesterday??
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Not weird. To me at least. That's how I was taught to do it almost 20 years ago or so. I always thought everyone else was weird for now doing it like me.

First I can use up to and over 1lb of butter per yolk this way. With a balloon whisk I would whip up the yolks with white wine and a little water for quite a while until ribbon stage. Then over an open flame I would continue whipping until the yolks were cooked, not scrambled. At this point the yolks can have easily quadrupled in size. Now you can begin to stream in the clarified butter. This part always kills me cause most guys do it too slow. Once you get the emulsion started it's go time man!! season with acid, Tabasco, herbs kosher salt &white pepper. Done. And your shoulder is killing you.

Recently I tried the blender method and I am now in love. I was inspired by the hydraulic yolk separation thread so I made a video about it. I'll see if I can post it soon.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

ThEoRy:

It's not so much the method that I find weird, but the proportions. This chef was using 4 cups of yolks to 1 cup of butter!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Not weird. To me at least. That's how I was taught to do it almost 20 years ago or so. I always thought everyone else was weird for now doing it like me.

First I can use up to and over 1lb of butter per yolk this way. With a balloon whisk I would whip up the yolks with white wine and a little water for quite a while until ribbon stage. Then over an open flame I would continue whipping until the yolks were cooked, not scrambled. At this point the yolks can have easily quadrupled in size. Now you can begin to stream in the clarified butter. This part always kills me cause most guys do it too slow. Once you get the emulsion started it's go time man!! season with acid, Tabasco, herbs kosher salt &white pepper. Done. And your shoulder is killing you.

Recently I tried the blender method and I am now in love. I was inspired by the hydraulic yolk separation thread so I made a video about it. I'll see if I can post it soon.

Blender method rules...