Quantcast
Weird hollandaise - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weird hollandaise

My eyes! My eyes! May they never see a written word again! Curse them!

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Not weird. To me at least. That's how I was taught to do it almost 20 years ago or so. I always thought everyone else was weird for now doing it like me.

First I can use up to and over 1lb of butter per yolk this way. With a balloon whisk I would whip up the yolks with white wine and a little water for quite a while until ribbon stage. Then over an open flame I would continue whipping until the yolks were cooked, not scrambled. At this point the yolks can have easily quadrupled in size. Now you can begin to stream in the clarified butter. This part always kills me cause most guys do it too slow. Once you get the emulsion started it's go time man!! season with acid, Tabasco, herbs kosher salt &white pepper. Done. And your shoulder is killing you.

Recently I tried the blender method and I am now in love. I was inspired by the hydraulic yolk separation thread so I made a video about it. I'll see if I can post it soon.
    I posted once before I did almost a gallon of hollendiase with the wip meathod. About 3years later I saw the blender method and was so happy, it doesn't take as long either.
    Chewie's the man.

Throw it into an ISI siphon, and give it two charges- you'll get the lightest, fluffiest hollandaise ever. And you don't have to worry about it breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    My eyes! My eyes! May they never see a written word again! Curse them!
    Less work, more consistent/arguably better product... Where's the problem here? It still takes a certain amount of skill and palate to pull it off...

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    Throw it into an ISI siphon, and give it two charges- you'll get the lightest, fluffiest hollandaise ever. And you don't have to worry about it breaking.

I've done this too but it kept breaking until I whipped one whole egg into the yolk mixture and then continued as normal. Maybe something about the protein strands in the whites held it together better. I'll give it another shot only this time using the blender method sans whole egg and report back.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

There's a high amount of lecithin in the whites, a natural stabilizer. It's also prevalent in garlic- aioli is pretty easy to emulsify with a pinch of garlic and at least one white in your mix. I typically use three yolks and one white to approximately a pound and half of butter. Although, I've recently discovered that a pinch of xanthan gum(say .01-.1%) greatly reduces the amount of fat(butter/oil) needed. Also useful for stabilizing your hollandaise in the siphon. I've done it without the xanthan no problem though. All that being said- egg whites are the original hydro colloid stabilizers. Try em out next hollandaise!

If it's not cooked it's salad dressing.

I worked at a steak house where we used literally gallons of hollandaise every night. Emulsion stick blender and pasteurized egg yolks were the secret. Never broke.

I learned 4 yolks to a pound butter. 1 cup yolks = a dozen'ish...

Lemon or reduced vinegar to acidify the yolks prior to emulsifying. (I prefer lemon for Hollandaise/ reduced vinegar for Bernaise)

Alton Brown did a segment where he used cold cubed butter, and mounted it like a buerre blanc. Seasoned with lemon after.

I say Bain Marie method for smaller batches....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    If it's not cooked it's salad dressing.
    The eggs and butter are heated before hand, and the friction of the blender does the final cook. to each their own, I just prefer this method. Neither one is 'right'.(unless you're an Escoffier acolyte I suppose...)

One of the chefs I work for still doesn't know, I suppose, about the blender method ( he's old school ), and I fixed a broken hollandaise nice n' quick in the robot coupe while no one was paying attention and got a few ooohs and ahhhhs. Thought it was funny but now that I'm thinking about it I didn't know about the blender method till' about 2 years ago. I still prefer to do it the old fashioned way unless I'm doing huge batches of the stuff for a banquet or something of the sort.

+ Reply to Thread