Quantcast
The Next Move - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Next Move

I've found I need to close one door so another can open . It sounds as though you are well regarded by your current place, by giving 4 weeks notice and a very valid reason for leaving you won't have burn't any bridges there. If it is coming up to the busy time of year in your city then you would have a much better choice of jobs than in off season.
    Trust your gut.

Rowan...

Quote Originally Posted by barramonday View Post
    I've found I need to close one door so another can open . It sounds as though you are well regarded by your current place, by giving 4 weeks notice and a very valid reason for leaving you won't have burn't any bridges there. If it is coming up to the busy time of year in your city then you would have a much better choice of jobs than in off season.
    Trust your gut.

Rowan...
    Yeah, this is definitely a thought that has been a constant in my mind. I plan on using the couple stages that I am lining up to ask the chefs in various kitchens what the field might look like come January.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance...what is a "stage" in this context?
    This might have been answered but missed by me. But I will answer anyway..a stage is a trial work period in a kitchen (could be a day, could be months). Generally un-paid but in some other the longer term situations, room and board may be provided in exchange for the hard work. The idea behind it is to see whether or not a given cook is suited for the available postion, whether or not they like whats going on in the kitchen, and whether or not they jive well with the other people in the kitchen. There are other factors involved, but in a nutshell..it's a try-out

-Kriegs

Quote Originally Posted by Kriegs View Post
    This might have been answered but missed by me. But I will answer anyway..a stage is a trial work period in a kitchen (could be a day, could be months). Generally un-paid but in some other the longer term situations, room and board may be provided in exchange for the hard work. The idea behind it is to see whether or not a given cook is suited for the available postion, whether or not they like whats going on in the kitchen, and whether or not they jive well with the other people in the kitchen. There are other factors involved, but in a nutshell..it's a try-out

-Kriegs
    Right, it can be a working interview or it can just be an opportunity for a cook to learn from some new people. I have done stages with no intention of asking for a job, it is always cool to meet new people and see different things. Nothing like working 6 days a week and staging at another restaurant on your day off (which is what I did last week)!
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

And "stage" in this instance the "a" is an AH-sound and the "ge" is pronounced like a Z with your molars clenched together, or a very soft J sound (stahj).
    BBQ Heretic

So I passed on the offer to remain on at the restaurant and took a position at a great restaurant in Cambridge. I'm excited. After the two stages, it seemed like a good fit. It's going to be hard work, but I'm confident that I will be getting more than enough knowledge and experience to make the work worth while.

-Kriegs

Congratulations, and good luck!

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Good Kriegs, hope you enjoy it. Let us know how it is.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Best of luck sir.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Great I'm sure your new skills gained at your old job will pay off in your new one.The fundimentals of good kitchen management are a valuable asset.

Apply your own knowledge & keep your eyes open to new idea's,things you can learn.

+ Reply to Thread