Quantcast
Naozumi Shirogami gyuto. Anyone ever use one?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naozumi Shirogami gyuto. Anyone ever use one?

Naozumi Shirogami gyuto. Anyone ever use one?

I'm trying to help a friend find an inexpensive carbon yo-gyuto. It can be a fixer-upper, it just has to be relatively cheap and I don't want to suggest Tojiro ITK. I found Naozumi brand gyutos kicking around the web, but no one writes about them. Can't tell if it's pure carbon or cladded, but claims it's made out of Shirogami steel without specifying which one. Nothing to be said about weight and thickness either. And the pics are poor too. Sooo... can anyone chime in? They're about $60 for a 210mm. Thanks in advance all!

Two-thirds of the way down this thread someone talks about Naozumi. Looks like it's solid steel and very thick.

http://www.cheftalk.com/t/67118/hey-...-always-better

I read that, and it's almost all I could find on another forum. He kinda turned me onto it more. I guess he didn't like the reactiveness of carbon, which is fine for us. We can thin and sharpen, or I can, the knife. So that's not a problem. And pineapple is hella acidic, and I wouldn't use a carbon blade myself. Maybe carbon just isn't his thing. And I still can't figure out if it's cladded or not. I emailed, but no response from the seller. Thanks for the link!

any news on this one? i was wondering the same as well for those masamori shirogami knifes on ebay. no information on the thickness as well as on the heat treatment, but a 270 sujihiki in shirogami for 77 $...

Thick shirogami at $60? I'd bet its not solid, and is probably clad. I'd be more concerned with how well its ground; will you need to spend significant time thinning ootb?
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

these pix might help. took it off the seller's post.

=D

here's a pic of the guy's 270mm suji on cheftalk.

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    Thick shirogami at $60? I'd bet its not solid, and is probably clad. I'd be more concerned with how well its ground; will you need to spend significant time thinning ootb?

I recall DrNaka saying that it's monosteel.

Perhaps it's White #3? - could explain the discrepancy in price?

Yah, those pics look like solid, non-clad.... Seems a good value; I wonder how it stacks up against Fujiwara carbon.....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I never bought one. Got a forgecraft and masamoto ks instead lol. There are a few brands that offer yo-gyuto carbon jblades around this price on eBay. Naozumi, m series kanemasa (I bought a 240 gyuto new on eBay for $50), hisashige. Either unspecified shirogami or yusuke carbon (speculated to be sk4 or sk5) on these.

Sub-$100 blades always peak my interest. I like to find deals, and good buys (I'm thrifty). The kanemasa is a great $50 knife I'd happily buy again. I passed on the thick white steel guys.

i contacted the ebay seller on the "masamori masamori sujihiki" and asked him to tell me something on the heat treatment and the thickness of the blade. he told me that its 2mm thick, but i dont know where he measured that... also he didnt mention anything about the heat treatment. is anybody interested in testing one of those knifes before me?