Naozumi Shirogami gyuto. Anyone ever use one?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhay

Reaction score
I'm trying to help a friend find an inexpensive carbon yo-gyuto. It can be a fixer-upper, it just has to be relatively cheap and I don't want to suggest Tojiro ITK. I found Naozumi brand gyutos kicking around the web, but no one writes about them. Can't tell if it's pure carbon or cladded, but claims it's made out of Shirogami steel without specifying which one. Nothing to be said about weight and thickness either. And the pics are poor too. Sooo... can anyone chime in? They're about $60 for a 210mm. Thanks in advance all!

I read that, and it's almost all I could find on another forum. He kinda turned me onto it more. I guess he didn't like the reactiveness of carbon, which is fine for us. We can thin and sharpen, or I can, the knife. So that's not a problem. And pineapple is hella acidic, and I wouldn't use a carbon blade myself. Maybe carbon just isn't his thing. And I still can't figure out if it's cladded or not. I emailed, but no response from the seller. Thanks for the link!

any news on this one? i was wondering the same as well for those masamori shirogami knifes on ebay. no information on the thickness as well as on the heat treatment, but a 270 sujihiki in shirogami for 77 $...

Thick shirogami at $60? I'd bet its not solid, and is probably clad. I'd be more concerned with how well its ground; will you need to spend significant time thinning ootb?

naogu210.1.jpg

naogu210.2.jpg

naogu210.3.jpg

these pix might help. took it off the seller's post.

=D

1000x500px-LL-5485b96b_TsuchimeSantokuGyotoWB.jpeg

here's a pic of the guy's 270mm suji on cheftalk.

Thick shirogami at $60? I'd bet its not solid, and is probably clad. I'd be more concerned with how well its ground; will you need to spend significant time thinning ootb?

I recall DrNaka saying that it's monosteel.

Perhaps it's White #3? - could explain the discrepancy in price?

Yah, those pics look like solid, non-clad.... Seems a good value; I wonder how it stacks up against Fujiwara carbon.....

I never bought one. Got a forgecraft and masamoto ks instead lol. There are a few brands that offer yo-gyuto carbon jblades around this price on eBay. Naozumi, m series kanemasa (I bought a 240 gyuto new on eBay for $50), hisashige. Either unspecified shirogami or yusuke carbon (speculated to be sk4 or sk5) on these.

Sub-$100 blades always peak my interest. I like to find deals, and good buys (I'm thrifty). The kanemasa is a great $50 knife I'd happily buy again. I passed on the thick white steel guys.

i contacted the ebay seller on the "masamori masamori sujihiki" and asked him to tell me something on the heat treatment and the thickness of the blade. he told me that its 2mm thick, but i dont know where he measured that... also he didnt mention anything about the heat treatment. is anybody interested in testing one of those knifes before me? :D

i contacted the ebay seller on the "masamori masamori sujihiki" and asked him to tell me something on the heat treatment and the thickness of the blade. he told me that its 2mm thick, but i dont know where he measured that... also he didnt mention anything about the heat treatment. is anybody interested in testing one of those knifes before me? :D

You should give it a go and let us know your thoughts :)

"174gram in weight, blade spine is 2mm at side of handle (blade thickness is not even from bottom to top because the blade is hand forged, not punched plate) I measured my knife in kitchen . I'd dealt thousands of knives and I keep one 270 Masamori for my own. This is not so expensive but very good knife" is what he told me. but again nuthing about the heat treatment... i wonder if thered be any noticeable difference between the masamori and the naozumi besides profile.

What are those damascus knives? I think I'm in love. Except the handle

naogu210.1.jpg

naogu210.2.jpg

naogu210.3.jpg

these pix might help. took it off the seller's post.

=D

1000x500px-LL-5485b96b_TsuchimeSantokuGyotoWB.jpeg

here's a pic of the guy's 270mm suji on cheftalk.

Or Takayuki, Yoshihiro, Kanetsune, Monzaburo, Gekko etc. etc. "hammered damascus". OEM blades offered by many of the bigger makers. Also available with wa handles.

Ok thanks. I don't usually like Damascus but I like those. Too bad they all seem to be stainless

I realize those look nice but it's just because they look handmade to me and I always liked that "as forged" finish. I believe these are fake though

Latest posts

Back