Quantcast
Gyuto Decisions
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gyuto Decisions

Gyuto Decisions

Hello All,

So I'm a newcomer to the Japanese knife world, and I'm looking to get my very first Gyuto. I've had an 8 inch Zwilling chef's knife for a while, which I like, but I bought a Monzaburo 240mm Kiritsuke (yeah, I know), and now I'm pretty much hooked, so here goes:

What type of knife(s) do you think you want?

240 non-stainless gyuto

contenders:
    Reviewing the list, it's really between the Kumagoro and the Watanabe. I've got a Monzaburo in the same steel, and I want to try something different, and the Yoshikane is a pretty thick knife.

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?

Cause I NEED it . I want a slightly longer knife to replace/complement my 8inch Zwilling Cronidur.

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
    Aesthetics- prefer wa handles. don't really like damascus, but the tamamoku looks amazing
    Edge Quality/Retention- no complaints, but I want to try out a harder knife
    Ease of Use- AoKo has been easy enough to care for.
    Comfort-

What grip do you use?

pinch

What kind of cutting motion do you use?

rock, slice

Where do you store them?

drawer holder or saya

Have you ever oiled a handle?

no

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?

bamboo

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?

rod

Have they ever been sharpened?

No, but I'm going to invest in a setup.

What is your budget?

$200 - $600

What do you cook and how often?

Mostly vegetarian stuff - lots of thai. some fish. I cook at home most days

Thanks, and great forum!

Welcome theorange! I'm sure you will find some folks here who can tell you more about your choices. Good luck!
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Between the four, I'd choose watanabe. One thing to note is that watanabes are monsters (I have a 270) and are certainly not thinner than yoshis(also a 270 in skd). They are both fantastic cutters with very different geometry.

Dont own a watanabe, but do own a Kumagoro. Was one of my first jknives. Still reach for it and enjoy using it. Have had it rehandled, looks nice, cuts well.

Look into Masamoto KS and Mizuno Blue 2 from JCK. I've been very happy with both.

I picked up a 240mm Tanaka Sekiso Blue Steel Damascus gyuto a few weeks ago and have been loving it. Great Convex grind, very nice edge OOTB (it still sticks into my cutting board!) and the convexing really helps with less sticking/wedging. When cutting foods, you can actually see the blade pushing the material out of the way. Blade is almost 3mm wide at the spine, but it cuts better than my 1.9mm spine Kanetsune.

It's got a nice blue/purple/gold Patina going now:

If you think you would like the V2 steel, you may want to consider the Kochi brand. Mine is a great cutter and very comfortable in hand...

Good call, Taz!
    The Tanaka passaround gyuto really impressed me!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Wow, thanks for all the great info! Funny you should mention Kochi, as this guy has also caught my attention, and the price isn't nearly the leap it would be to the Watanabe. How concerned should I be about cleaning/maintaining a "reactive" Kurouchi blade? The finish doesn't look too rough, but I don't want something I'm going to have to scrub for five minutes every time I use it.

I'll add one detail: as much as I love my Yoshikane 240mm gyuto, I wish the blade were taller towards the heel. It's almost caught between being a gyuto and a sujihiki (this may be overstating the matter, but is illustrative). This may be true with the Kumagoroo as well, as they've always looked similar. Watanabe's always looked taller to me.

Good luck on your choice.

Cheers,

Jack

+ Reply to Thread