Mari in Stockholm, Sweden (Food P*rn Pt.1)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korin_Mari

Reaction score
I'm home! ... And catching up on everything I've missed. :drowning:

As many of you may know, I had the wonderful opportunity to follow my mother on a culinary world cruise for vacation. My mother originally boarded the ship to show our support to chef Nobu of Nobu Restaurant (Silk Road on the cruise), but she fell in love with it and now she's on a traveling kick. lol This August we stopped by Stockholm, St Petersburg, Helsinki, Warnemünde, and London. Each country won't have this long of a post, but I stayed in Stockholm for 3 days.

It was my first time in a Scandinavian country, and admittedly I was amazed by two things in particular above all others...
1. I am convinced that Stockholm is the land of beautiful giants. This 4'11" Japanese girl felt like a tiny potato rolling on the side lines admiring these shimmering creatures.

2. Sweden definitely enjoys a very high standard of living. The taxi driver told us that tap water is sometimes better than bottled water.

Beautiful Stockholm

Small cafe my mother and I went into for breakfast

The wall had writing everywhere from all over the world! Japan too! :D

Coffee in a soup bowl. I wonder if this is how coffee is served everywhere in Stockholm... I don't know.

American muffins = Cinnabuns in Sweden. lol

Delicious shrimp open sandwich

Tube of caviar?

Guards marching

I'm not sure what this tiny statue is... or why there is money all around him. But I kind of wanted to give it a hug. It looks so sad.

At the Skansen Open Air Museum :)

Hello Mister :)

I admit. I spent about an hour in front of the otter tank. LOL

The Vasa ship was built under the orders of king Gustav II Adolf between 1626 and 1627. He ordered that this ship must be made out of more than a thousand oak trees with 64 cannon, masts over 50 meters high and hundreds of painted and gilded sculptures. The Vasa was built at a shipyard called Skeppsgården (current Blasieholmen in Stockholm), which was the largest shipyard in Stockholm at the time.

The building of the Vasa was "led by a Dutchman, Henrik Hybertsson, an experienced shipwright. In this period, Dutch ships were not built from drawings, instead the shipwright was given the overall dimensions and used proportions and rules of thumb based on his own experience to produce a ship with good sailing qualities." Unfortunately he died before the completion of the ship, and therefore was ultimately completed by his apprentice.

When the Vasa was ready to set sail and left the lee of the Södermalm cliffs, the ship heeled over. Water rushed in through the open gunports and Vasa sank, after sailing barely 1300 meters. The ship was too unstable to sit at sea on it's own, due to the fact that "the underwater part of the hull was too small and the ballast insufficient in relation to the rig and cannon." This magnificent piece of 17th century history and art returned to the surface on April 1961, thanks to the engineer and wreck researcher, Anders Franzén who found the ship in 1956.

I made a Swedish Japanese speaking friend here! It's amazing where you meet the most wonderful people.

Smorgasbord at the Grand Hotel.

My dessert plate! A little of everything. :)

Dragon fruit is always a little disappointing... But everything else was amazing.

Saluhall Food Market

We were given samples of several small Swedish finger food.

BEST. HAM. EVER.

Holy pork belly!

A little scary... in my opinion.

Sweden's famous crayfish! Apparently it was crayfish season a week after we left. :(

Things I learned:
1. Swedish chocolate is superb.
2. Swedish people are beautiful giants.
3. Always pay attention to taxi fares on the windows... (My mother and I got ripped off once during our trip.)

Thank you Stockholm! You and your people are absolutely wonderful!

Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed my post. :)

I sincerely enjoyed this post. Amazing photos.

I am still disappointed that you didn't ask here about the good spots in Sweden : (

Did you live at Grand Hotel? With Mathias Dahlgren Matsalen & Matbaren?
Or Scandic Grand Central?

Otherwise, awesome pictures, too bad the stay was so short though!

That's really cool, loved the photos of so many different aspects of your visit! The little statue with the money was curious....I'm interested to know what that was about...perhaps some of our Swedish members will enlighten us.

Also, apologies, I'm sure I have referred to you in the masculine at least once :O

Looking forward to the other stops!

I'm sorry. :(
I did think about you though! It's okay, I'll be back in Stockholm I'm sure. :)
I was at the Grand Hotel.

That's really cool, loved the photos of so many different aspects of your visit! The little statue with the money was curious....I'm interested to know what that was about...perhaps some of our Swedish members will enlighten us.

Also, apologies, I'm sure I have referred to you in the masculine at least once :O

Looking forward to the other stops!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate these kind of comments. It makes posting worth while and make me giddy all day. lol :)
Yes! I'm so curious about that little statue. I'm not even entirely sure where I was, so I can't even google it.

LOL No worries. I think a few people still think I'm a guy.

I'm sorry. :(
I did think about you though! It's okay, I'll be back in Stockholm I'm sure. :)
I was at the Grand Hotel.

Then you should've gone to Mathias Dahlgrens place, Matbaren, it's just at your hotel and has some real world-class food!
You'll have to go there when you're back in Sweden

Then you should've gone to Mathias Dahlgrens place, Matbaren, it's just at your hotel and has some real world-class food!
You'll have to go there when you're back in Sweden

I think I did, and I just wasn't aware. LOL The food was fantastic, we pretty much just ate there every morning and for dinner. We had smorgasbord there! :)

I think I did, and I just wasn't aware. LOL The food was fantastic, we pretty much just ate there every morning and for dinner. We had smorgasbord there! :)

Nah, that's Verandan! Not even close to Mathias places, but good place non the less!

Also, the "tapwater is sometimes better than bottled water" Tapwater is better in about 99% of Sweden. And i happen to live in i think it's the 3rd best water-quality town/community in Sweden.

Nice pics Mari. Looks like a lot of fun. It stinks you couldn't meet up with Candlejack and make it an international transatlantic KKF meetup.

Also, the "tapwater is sometimes better than bottled water" Tapwater is better in about 99% of Sweden. And i happen to live in i think it's the 3rd best water-quality town/community in Sweden.

This is true in a lot of places in the US as well. There have been several blind tastings to support this. Of course, the tap water in my hometown is better than a lot of the bottled water in SoCal...and their tapwater really is awful.

This is true in a lot of places in the US as well. There have been several blind tastings to support this. Of course, the tap water in my hometown is better than a lot of the bottled water in SoCal...and their tapwater really is awful.

Yeah, i've read about that too. There's more control on the tap-water than it is on the bottled water. So in just about every case, almost, tap water is better.
But one of the things we (don't really..) pride ourselves with in Sweden is some of the worlds best water.

I went to Disney land in Anaheim when I graduated high school... I admit the tapwater was so gross, I hated brushing my teeth. I did of course, brush my teeth, but you know... It was painful.

Beautiful pictures! I love the little write-up on the salvaged ship. I also got a nice chuckle that "American muffins" are cinnamon buns.

When the Vasa was raised an attempt at preservation was made using propylene glycol, I believe, and it has since been discovered that the "preservative" was dissolving the wood! I'm not sure what has been done recently, but the preservation work has not been simple!

Latest posts

Back