Removing knife lacquer..

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
sorry if this questions was already asked but I've got a new knife coming next week its a Sakai Yusuke Special Thin White #2 240 Gyuto (reviews and pics will follow in a separate post). The blade will be covered with a thin lacquer that I want to remove. I know some like to keep it there but I want to remove it. In the past i've used 90% alcohol and rubbed the hell out of it with a soft cloth.

1.) It took a while to remove the lacquer entirely
2.) Unfortunately this knife will not have an etched kanji it's printed. I'd like to preserve as much of the screens darkness as possible. Alcohol really faded it my last one really bad.
3.) I don't want to leave lacquer on just the kanji. thats not sustainable.

Folks on this forum buy a lot of knives, what do you do to remove it? TKS

I just used a green scrubby pad thing on mine. It comes off fairly easily. Alternatively just use it for a while and it will come off with you just cleaning and wiping it through use

Acetone with a paper towel works well for me. You may need to wipe multiple times to get all the laquer off. Use more than one paper towel so that the laquer doesn't accumulate and end up being smeared back on the blade. Not sure whether you'll be able to save the kanji, though.

Back