Quantcast
f/s forgecrafts - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: f/s forgecrafts

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    Wow, that is rare, never used. Rick, are you going to use it, or keep it in unusd state?
    Matt,

There has been so much buzz around the forum lately about the Forgecraft and 'ODC' in general that I bought it to see what it was all about. I intend to sharpen it up and see how it performs, unless there is a large number of cries of "Sacrilege!" from everyone.

Rick

I would say sacrilege if you didn't intend to use it. It is a tool, yes a somewhat old tool but a tool none the less, you wouldn't think anything about using a hammer fromtge 50's or 60's no reason to think differently about a knife. While nice and I'm sure a pleasure to be used there is no reason to pretend it's something it's not, a mass produced tool to be used. Use it well and feel pride in putting something to work that hasnt yet fufilled it's purpose.

If you don't want to use it, I'll give you one and it'll all come out in the wash (or some cliché). It's a pretty awesome collectable.

Let me know, my friend.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by The hekler View Post
    I would say sacrilege if you didn't intend to use it. It is a tool, yes a somewhat old tool but a tool none the less, you wouldn't think anything about using a hammer fromtge 50's or 60's no reason to think differently about a knife. While nice and I'm sure a pleasure to be used there is no reason to pretend it's something it's not, a mass produced tool to be used. Use it well and feel pride in putting something to work that hasnt yet fufilled it's purpose.
    I'm going to have to keep this in mind as I have a hard time bringing my vintage sabs to work. Though they are my most used knives at home. I guess that's enough. Used gently is better than not used at all.

Still have the 10" suji forgecraft available.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Matt,

There has been so much buzz around the forum lately about the Forgecraft and 'ODC' in general that I bought it to see what it was all about. I intend to sharpen it up and see how it performs, unless there is a large number of cries of "Sacrilege!" from everyone.

Rick
    It's 1095 and will take a wicked edge, It sucks on edge retention, but that's what hones and strops are for. I would say it is similar to a Sabatier. It's the comfort and blade profile I like. If I could find someone who would be willing to heat treat it to it's full potential, I would do it. You would have an exceptional knife then.

There is an interesting proposition. Is there any reason why one of these could not be heat treated again?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I'll offer one up if someone wants to do it.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

If I could stuff more than 11 inches into my oven I would be all over it! There is always the BGE, though...............
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I am working on a special project right now and should have it done in a week or two, maybe I can get one of the guys to throw it in the next time they do heat treat. Marko doesn't live too far away and it's not like he is busy or anything.lol

+ Reply to Thread