Pass-Around Sign Up

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
I have heat treated a pass around blade and will start working on it shortly, so it is time to sign up some participants.

Some of the conditions I copied form other folks' pass-arounds, and some I added. Please make sure you are in an agreement with all conditions before signing up. I am planning on ten participants, 5 pro and 5 home users, but I will play by ear depending on the response. I am not going to do a sign up on a first-come-first-serve basis as this leaves some folks out. Instead I will do a lottery-like selection, should there be more than ten people interested.

- Forum regulars or if you are newer, you would have one of the seniors vouch for you
- One week per participant
- Sharpen only if you consider yourself a decent sharpener
- If a blade is damaged, it has to be returned to me for fixing before it is resumed to be passed around. If a damage is minor, then it could be fixed by a participant, but I need to be notified about it beforehand.
- A participant is responsible for a postage (insured for a full value) to the next person on the list.
-I want a participant to compare my knife to his/her best performing knife. Areas of comparison should include sharpen-ability (please see conditions above), edge retention, edge maintenance (with a strop), geometry, profile, food release, handle comfort, fun to use, etc. Anything one can comment on, I would be interested.

As these are still experimental knives, with experimental heat treatment and grind, there is still much to learn from other people's experience with them and users' feedback has proved to be invaluable thus far.

In short, I look for an objective feedback/review and expect a constructive criticism. If you don't want to post it in public, send it to me in private.

Thank you.

PS: When signing up, please indicate if you are a pro or home user. You can use the knife as hard as you want, but as intended.

I'm in! Home user.

Please consider me among the home users. Is this a 260mm gyuto?

Thanks,

Mark

Please consider me among the home users. Is this a 260mm gyuto?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark it is 260mm on the edge, ground symmetrically, but it will come with a D handle for a right hand user. Octagonal would be more appropriate, but I would like folks to try my D, as I find it more comfortable than octagonal.

M

i would like to test it out as a pro user. Thanks

Mike

Mark it is 260mm on the edge, ground symmetrically, but it will come with a D handle for a right hand user. Octagonal would be more appropriate, but I would like folks to try my D, as I find it more comfortable than octagonal.

M
Thanks, Marko, sounds good. I've had no problems using right-handed D handles, so that's not an issue for a lefty like me.

I would like to test it out as well. Pro user. I have never been involved in a pass around so I'm not sure if I will need vouching for. I've been a board member for A year and a half.

If this pass around makes its way to Canada I'd like to give it a test run as a home cook.

Pro in a sushi kitchen...but newer forum member so no worrys if you want to pass me up for a veteran :)

I am open to domestic and international pass around and I am open to extending the number of participants to as many as it would make sense.

M

To make a Canadian leg more feasible, please consider me (in Montreal). I'm also a humble home cook. I will not be sharpening.

I will be willing to accommodate everybody in this thread, however, I will need the knife returned to me after every ten participants, so I can thin it and repair damage if incurred. This way the quality of the knife you will get will be comparable to my customs and I will have some control over what condition the knife is in.

At the same time, I encourage people to use it hard, as it is made to withstand abuse, within a reason, of course.

If a pass-around takes a year, so be it. One thing I will still do, is to use lottery-like selection, to draw lists of participants from the general pool. This way it will be fair to everybody.

For logistical purposes, I will start with a domestic pass around before doing it overseas (Canada and Europe, if there is interest). Sending back to US should not be a problem with customs, withing European countries, you guys will have to do a little research and fill me on it)

If you interested, please post here, not on PM.

M

I would be interested as a home "chef"!

I would love to be included...home cook.

Thanks

I would love to get in on this Marko. Professional environment.THank you

I will be willing to accommodate everybody in this thread, ... For logistical purposes, I will start with a domestic pass around before doing it overseas (Canada and Europe, if there is interest). Sending back to US should not be a problem with customs, withing European countries, you guys will have to do a little research and fill me on it)

Great. But wait, I'm already down (above) and might not be the only one who's not in the US or Canada/Europe. I guess I'll be excluded?

I would enjoy being counted in as a pro, No sharpening. If I can be bumped back towards november on the list that would be great because I will be leaving Alberta in October

Great. But wait, I'm already down (above) and might not be the only one who's not in the US or Canada/Europe. I guess I'll be excluded?

I will try to accommodate as many people as I can, but logistics will be taken into considerations.

M

I would like to try one of your knives; home cook right now.

Would also like to give this knife a try in a pro kitchen for a week. This would be my first knife that is american made to use.

I'd like to sign up as a pro-user if there's some more dudes in Sweden/scandinavia that's going to be in!

I would love to try out one of your knives if you would have me Marko, really been wanting to put one to work. I'm a Canadian, pro user, I could give this thing a serious workout in a week, I'd be comparing it to Shigefusa, Mizuno Honyaki, Devin Thomas AEB-L, Fowler 52100 and every flavour of Carter, amongst other things :dazed:

Latest posts

Back