Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Current Favorite Knife you own - Photos please

My big 285mm Carter. I don't know what I was thinking when I put this thing up for sale a while ago. It's the best cutter I own, maybe the best I will ever own.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	102_0004.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	9785  

My favorite knife became the Tanaka Sekiso Damascus Gyuto I got a few weeks ago. Still blown away by how it cuts through pretty much anything with little to no wedging, no sticking and out cuts almost everything else I own, except maybe my Tanaka Nakiri in some harder/denser veggies. Awesome convex grind and the damascus pattern (I can feel the ridges between the different layers) and grind help keep the food from sticking. Cutting onions, the onions tend to fly off of the blade if I cut fast. I was at first kinda put off because it was thicker/heavier than I was hoping (almost 3mm at the spine above the heel) and the upper half of the blade was still pretty thick. But that convex grind is just magic. It out cuts my thin (1.88mm spine) Kanetsune AS gyuto like nothing. I can see the food being pushed away by the convex edge. I had read about some thicker knives that just cut like crazy, but I was still looking for a go to Gyuto and was thinking I needed a Laser type. Now I know a little more about the geometry of the knives and this one just rocks! Plus it takes a nice Blue/Purple/Gold Patina. Edge was very sharp OOTB and sticks into my Black Walnut End Grain cutting board quite easily. Definitely getting a new pair of shoes soon!!

This one earned it's placed as my workhouse gyuto and knocked almost everything else out of the block for my normal meats and veggies prep!

Not the fanciest, prettiest or most expensive, but this is the knife I always new I should try, and once I did I was hooked. It is perfect in every sense and lends itself flawlessly to my personal technique. I think it was at least third-hand, too; giving it a little more character...

It is sporting my signature "faux-yaki" hamon line...kind of like putting racing stripes and a GT badge on a 6 cylinder Mustang! lol

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86698865@N04/7940530630/
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Seconding the Masamoto KS. Perfect profile, excellent grind, great steel (if you're not concerned with absolute edge retention). Did you burn the handle yourself? It looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    Not the fanciest, prettiest or most expensive, but this is the knife I always new I should try, and once I did I was hooked. It is perfect in every sense and lends itself flawlessly to my personal technique. I think it was at least third-hand, too; giving it a little more character...

It is sporting my signature "faux-yaki" hamon line...kind of like putting racing stripes and a GT badge on a 6 cylinder Mustang! lol

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86698865@N04/7940530630/

Yah, I sanded down the D hump since I'm a lefty, and torched it with a brulee torch. Plan on rehandling it soon though...
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

My current favorite blade is my Kochi 240. Cuts great, sharpens easily, feels great in hand (balance). Won't have it for long though because I just got a MT (225 practice knife) and figure I will upsize this to the 270...funny it felt large initially and now it almost feels small.

once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by mhenry View Post
    My big 285mm Carter. I don't know what I was thinking when I put this thing up for sale a while ago. It's the best cutter I own, maybe the best I will ever own.
    I was just looking for the 'Like' button - I also think that's a keeper, wish I had one like that.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    I was just looking for the 'Like' button - I also think that's a keeper, wish I had one like that.

Stefan
    One for sale here:

http://sharpandshinyshop.com/collect...2-sun-wa-gyuto

Here is my favourite or a link rather http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-27988581933240_2206_292422
    Monzaburo 255 Ginsanko Kiritsuke.

I got this as a graduation present from my Dad and Wife when I graduated culinary school. I use the thing daily and there are certain tasks that I won't do with another knife. If I had to select only one knife to use forgoing all others it would be this knife. Love the steel love the handle everything about it is spot on for me. I've always been a sucker for the aesthetic of the Kiritsuke

Wow, this is a tough one. We should ask you favorite wood questions to pay you back for making us think so much.

Anyhow, I have enough new knives that this is really difficult. My Marko knife is relatively new and will likely go down as one of my all time favorites, BUT I haven't been using it the last couple of moths because I have been using a couple of other blades. My Mario gyuto is currently being used the most and I hardly remove it from the counter these days. It is just sitting there on a towel ready for business. Both of these knives make me happy. With that said, my Adam Marr honesuki is probably my favorite over that last few months. Whether it is trimming, slicing, breaking down meat or stripping corn off the cob, the Marr honesuki has been my summer fling.

I don't have a stand-alone picture of it, but here is one with a microplane and my Ealy spoon. The Marr honesuki is on top (obviously).

k.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	corntools.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	9793
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson