Quantcast
Your Current Favorite Knife you own - Photos please - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Current Favorite Knife you own - Photos please

I love that this kiritsuke has a bit more of a belly than I have seen before. I have never used one myself but, from the pictures that i generally see, kiritsukes tend to lack almost any belly at all

edit: This post was in reference to the kiritsuke linked a couple posts above
    Last edited by Kriegs; 09-09-2012 at 01:37 AM. Reason: left out a quote from a previous post

Mizuno Tanrenjo 240 Suminigashi. Blue DX core. Because it does everything well and there is probably less than five in existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Kriegs View Post
    I love that this kiritsuke has a bit more of a belly than I have seen before. I have never used one myself but, from the pictures that i generally see, kiritsukes tend to lack almost any belly at all

edit: This post was in reference to the kiritsuke linked a couple posts above
    Yes it does have a touch of belly to it but still very very flat. The minor belly I think makes it a touch more forgiving that the extremely flat ones. Although at the point I'm at with it now I would like it to have no belly and just a touch or rise to the tip. Great knife though. Took about 3 months of dedicated use to really get used to it after that it was fine tuning things but I wouldn't part with that for all the tea in china

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Yes it does have a touch of belly to it but still very very flat. The minor belly I think makes it a touch more forgiving that the extremely flat ones. Although at the point I'm at with it now I would like it to have no belly and just a touch or rise to the tip. Great knife though. Took about 3 months of dedicated use to really get used to it after that it was fine tuning things but I wouldn't part with that for all the tea in china
    Well hey, if you ever find that perfect one with a flatter belly and start becoming more interested in China's tea; lemme know.

-Kriegs

I use this for almost everything, although I make myself use others so that they do not feel left out. The spalted maple burl came from you know who, I cast the bolster out of white bronze. The O1 takes and holds a killer edge.

Attachment 9807
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Name:  IMG_2732.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  17.3 KB

Carter custom white/stainless 240 in an unusual (for him) western profile, which I asked him to create for me since I was coming off training with Wusthoffs and felt more comfortable with the taller blade. Even though I now rotate this one with several knives featuring the narrower, Tadafusa-like profile with less belly, I still love this knife. It's under 7 ounces, takes a screaming edge very easily, and just feels good in my hand with ironwood handle and excellent balance, which is right in front of the bolster given the thin, light blade. I had the spine rounded by someone else and once that was done, perfection.

Will someone please tell me why I keep buying knives even though I have something like this to fall back on?
    Last edited by RiffRaff; 09-09-2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: made photo visible

Hiromoto AS Wa Suji with Stephan Presentation Ironwood burl. Not much on this knife that I don't just love When I first got this knife I was just starting my addiction to H AS knives and I was just bowled over by the cladding on this one. At one time I had the entire series of H AS knives but have sence weeded out most of them, keeping the Wa handled ones. Oneday I'll re-handle the 300 wa gyoto but thats going to be a chunk of wood LOL
    Sure there are knives I use more often but this has been my top knife for a very long time.

Beautiful knife DC, and man, what a handle!

My "favorite" really depends a lot on what I'm going to do with it. Right now my favorite general purpose knife is this one:

Name:  Shig.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  6.1 KB

It's extremely light & agile, is a cutting fool, and fits my hand perfectly. The only thing it has going against it is the reactivitity of the steel.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    My "favorite" really depends a lot on what I'm going to do with it. Right now my favorite general purpose knife is this one:

It's extremely light & agile, is a cutting fool, and fits my hand perfectly. The only thing it has going against it is the reactivitity of the steel.
    +1 I have the same knife, rehandled by the same guy in walnut burl, and I debated whether to post it or the Carter (see above) as my favorite. It's the one on top in the photo, although the Rader's no slouch either!

Name:  IMG_1955.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  13.8 KB