What's New Today - Brand New Pieces in the Store

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
It looks like I will be adding new pieces to our web store nonstop through this fall and winter.
Instead of posting a new thread every time I add new stuff, I thought maybe I would just do an ongoing thread.
That way anyone who is interested can just check this thread and see what is the latest new stuff.

You are welcome to post any comments here you want. It helps me to know what you guys like and what you don't.

When I post a photo in this thread, that will be pieces that I have just finished adding to the Brand New Pieces section of our webstore. The new items will remain in that section usually for a day or two. At least until I add some other new wood to the store. After that any remaining pieces will be moved to the appropriate subcategories.

On the left side of the page you will see the categories.
As an example;
If you click on the category for Stabilized Wood Knife Handle Material, you will be given the option to scroll down through all the stabilized wood in the store. Or you could just click on Redwood or ? if that is what you want to look at.

Even if you don't need anything it can be fun to look at the photos.
I am doing my best to get the coolest and most unusual woods I can find from all over the world.

This is some really good stabilized Redwood burl that I just added to the web store. A few 2nd Growth pieces and several old growth. Click on the photo to go to the web store if you want to take a closer look.

Added some new Koa today as well.
The red Koa is my favorite color for Koa. A couple of the compression curl pieces have really really bold figure. Nice stuff.

I just added a handful of Stabilized Bog Oak blocks to the store. Carbon dated to be 5460 years old.
These are a bit smaller blocks than the last batch so the prices are lower as well.

5460-1.jpg

These are some real nice stabilized blocks of Claro Walnut burl I just added to the store.
Claro Walnut is one of the types of Walnut that grows in California. Tends to have good contrasting colors and 3 dimensional figure.

These are some stabilized blocks of really colorful Spalted Oregon Maple Burl I just added to the store.

I just finished adding this new batch of Extra Large Stabilized Bog Oak blocks to our web store. Many of these blocks will have some figuring. At first glance the blocks just look black but when the light hits from different angles weird flecks and stuff can show up. Click on the photos in the listings for a life size photo.
These blocks were professionally stabilized by K&G. One of the very best professional wood stabilizing companies.
These are blocks of Bog Oak from the Ukraine. Very dark black and charcoal coloring with a nice metallic luster. Included with each block you will receive a hard copy of the carbon dating report for this 5460 year old Bog Oak. This is some of the best quality Bog Oak I have ever seen. Bog Oak are old oak trees that settled into the muck in the bottom of waterways thousands of years ago. As it sits in the muck the wood absorbs minerals and turns darker colors. Usually the oldest pieces are the darkest.

We are so sure you will love this wood that it comes with a No questions asked, Money back guarantee.
Free USPS Priority Mail Shipping Worldwide.

Click on the photo to go to the Brand New Pieces section of the store where these blocks are located.

If you are a member of the knife forums you can have a 10% discount off your purchase by entering the letters forum in the field that asks if you have a promotional code during checkout.

If you are a repeat customer you can have a slightly larger 20% discount off your purchase by entering the letters repeat in the field that asks if you have a promotional code during checkout. I felt that my repeat customers should be given a slightly larger discount.

This is a copy of the carbon dating report for the log these blocks were cut from.
5460-1.jpg

Mark, you always have the most beautiful woods.
I wish I could buy them all.:biggrin:

I love you and I hate you Mark - Couldn't pass up the bog oak any longer.

These are the red eye Koa blocks I added to the store yesterday.

Added these ones today.

Best Stabilized Koa just added to the store.
Each of these pieces have a short video clip showing both sides of the block.

Click on the photo to see what is still available.

I just added the rest of my stabilized Bog Oak to our web store.
I will try to get more but these are all the stabilized ones I have right now.
At 1st glance they look black but when the light hits them from different angles colors appear.
Carbon Dated to be 5460 Years Old. Professionally stabilized by K&G.
Click on the photo to see the new blocks.

These blocks started out as some Flame Figured Maple that had started to spalt.
I sent the blocks to K&G to be dyed Brown and Stabilized.
The spalted portions that had an orange coloring resisted the dye while the rest took on different shades of brown giving an unusual high contrast random coloring.

Click on the photo to go where these are located in the store.
Not everyone will like the look of these. If you are one of those that likes the look, bear in mind that there are only these eight pieces. Seems that the strangest pieces are the quickest to sell and the most difficult to replace.

These are ones I just finished adding to our web store.
Spalted Maple, Redwood Burl and Figured Redwood. These were dyed blue and stabilized by K&G.

Click on the photo to go to the store.

Here is a short video of the Redwood.

[video=youtube_share;3hteIRV_fJM]http://youtu.be/3hteIRV_fJM[/video]

I just added some more stabilized blocks of California Buckeye burl to the web store.
Most are way oversized and may yield two handles.
Kind of weird looking stuff but I like it.

I just finished adding the last of the Black Palm to the web store.
Most of these are XXLG pieces that should yield two handles.

These are the new sets of stabilized scales that I just added to the store.
They are all 3/8" or thicker.

These are some blocks I just added to our store. Desert Ironwood from Arizona, Striped Ebony from Indonesia and Bubinga from Africa. All of these blocks are old stock, dry and ready to use. These are natural hardwoods, they have not been stabilized.

Click on the photo to go to the Natural Hardwoods Section of the store.

The last of the Bog Oak just came back from getting stabilized and have been added to the store. These are extra large blocks that can yield 2 handles for some knives. I will do all I can to get more of this wood. This wood was carbon dated and is 5460 years old.

Back when this tree died the Great Pyramids and Stone Henge were still under construction. There were even Mammoths running around the place.

Click on the photo to go to where they are located in the store. The flash from my camera made these look lighter than they are in person. They are more like dark gray and black.

I think it's a great pic. It shows the grain, that for some reason doesn't show on the website.

You all pretty much wiped out the store inventory with this last sale so I spent today adding a bunch of new stabilized wood to our web store.
Through the coming week I will be adding lots more as I get the wood cleaned up and ready to be listed in the store.
I also took new, and I think better photos of the pieces that did not sell during the sale.

You can still give yourself a 20% discount if you are a repeat customer. Just enter the letters repeat in the field where it asks if you have a promotional code during check out. And as always; Free Shipping Worldwide & Money Back Guarantee.

This link will take you to the store.

Here are group photos of some of the new pieces.

nw003.jpg

nw004.jpg

nw002.jpg

nw001.jpg

nw006.jpg

Wholey Moley, there are some hotcha hunks there! I do love those 2 tone maple chunks!

The 1st batch of Stabilized Karelian Birch is in the web store now.
This wood was used on one of the Tiffany Eggs. Very pretty wood.
The stabilizing gave the wood an amber coloring and a significant weight gain.
There are only a dozen blocks in this batch but I will be getting more from Russia in about a month.

I just added some stabilized Rosewood Burl and Amboyna Burl to the store.
The rosewood blocks are a bit thinner than I like so keep an eye on the dimensions. They will work for a lot of knives but not everything.
With the amboyna, some might yield a couple handles.

I just added a bunch of oversized blocks of Desert Ironwood to our web store. This is some of the Old Stock Ironwood that I got on trade from a Retired Forestry Dept worker. He had it sitting around for decades and traded it to me for some maple burl.
These are all considerably larger than normal sized handle blocks.

Sorry about the bad photo. The blocks are considerably darker than this. The individual photos are much better and show accurate colors.
Click this link to go to where they are in the web store.

Back