Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pork shoulder steaks braised in root beer and porter

Pork shoulder steaks braised in root beer and porter

I'm braising half dozen 1" thick pork shoulder steaks in a mixture of 3 parts root beer to 1 part local porter.

I seasoned the meat liberally with a mix of salts, pepper and some powder from a can of ghost pepper peanuts. I poured in the braising liquid, covered with foil and let it braise for an hour at 375. Then pulled the foil and upped the heat to 425 to evaporate the liquid and get the meat frying in own fat.

Man the aroma is amazing and this pork is so tender and delicious. This is a killer recipe for Carnitas!!!

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Pics or it didn't happen.
    Jason

Rootbeer! Have to admit you've made me hungry, but why not go for natural ingredients?

The poor pig. Well, I don't like rootbeer... Other than that it sounds delicious if we can believe you. But that's tough without pictures.

Stefan

You can use cola too, but I opted for root beer for that nice sassafras flavor. You can get natural root beer, but this was a quick decision made at the store today. All I have left is a pile of lovely pig wrapped in foil. It'll be great left over for the wife this week. I'm working doubles all week + saturday night and sunday afternoon. Gotta love show biz OT.

Is there a more traditional way to get the sasafras flavour? Shouldn't softdrinks be a last resort?

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by Cutty Sharp View Post
    Is there a more traditional way to get the sasafras flavour? Shouldn't softdrinks be a last resort?
    You could buy sassfras root, but I don't see why softdrinks should be a last resort.

Sounds great, Mike, but where are the pics?!

Dr. Pepper
    BBQ Heretic

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    I don't see why softdrinks should be a last resort.
    Well, we cook stuff ourselves to avoid eating artifical stuff, don't we? Sorry, but cooking with Dr Pepper & rootbeer just sounds off.

I do a similar one at work. Rub with salt, smoked paprika, coffee brown sugar, cayenne, some other stuff. Then braise with coffee cola and oatmeal stout or Guinness. Garlic, thyme and juniper in the liquid as well. Comes out nice. I would rather use root beer but we have cola on the gun and root beer in bottles so cola it is.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney