Quantcast
Pork shoulder steaks braised in root beer and porter - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pork shoulder steaks braised in root beer and porter

We have some locally made rootbeers that are actually very,very good. They would probably be excellent to cook with.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

I have had a few home-brew beers of the root variety as well...could probably source something like that from a local home-brew club...
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Definitely. Those options sound much better in my book than 'supermarket' root beer, as someone described it before. Also, to me adding rootbeer, natural or otherwise, isn't 'just flavouring' as someone has said. I mean, we all like food and cooking here and must think about what we consume, and so presumably we consider the ingredients we deal with carefully, as difficult as that can be. It's not about having 'high-minded notions of correctness'. For me it's about health and making the food appetising, and Dr Pepper braised meat may taste good - don't know, never tried it - but it's not something I'd want to cook or eat. I definitely wouldn't cook it for my daughter, too. Would you? (Well, for your kid, I mean. )

I totally get why some folks prefer some ingredients in their cooking vs others. But I'm not certain a can of Dr pepper on 8 lbs of pork is terribly unhealthy, when given the variety of other foods we consume. Still, the pork shoulders braised in root beer that Mike mentioned at the top of this thread do sounds extremely tasty.

But if cooking with craft brewed root beers is similar to brewing with craft brewed beers I would probably enjoy the subtleties of the pure ingredient better. In this instance, the "normal" and perhaps milder flavors of the commercial product suits my pallet better when cooked with.
    BBQ Heretic

How about wine, port or cider

All are good variations. Normally I use salted water only, and find that I prefer the flavor of the simpler brine, allowing me to be more aggressive with the smoke, especially with stronger flavors like hickory or mesquite which would overwhelm many of the subtle flavors of a more complicated brine/marinade. My 2 cents.
    BBQ Heretic

Keeping track of what you're eating in regards to ones health is a noble goal to be sure, but considering the fact that what is or isn't good for you( in terms of carcinogens, catalysts for heart disease, etc), changes faster than internet meme trends... There's nothing wrong with enjoying yourself once in awhile is what I'm saying. Constantly obsessing over you diet is going to take joy away from eating, and reduce it to strictly a means of sustenance. Moderation anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    Keeping track of what you're eating in regards to ones health is a noble goal to be sure, but considering the fact that what is or isn't good for you( in terms of carcinogens, catalysts for heart disease, etc), changes faster than internet meme trends... There's nothing wrong with enjoying yourself once in awhile is what I'm saying. Constantly obsessing over you diet is going to take joy away from eating, and reduce it to strictly a means of sustenance. Moderation anyone?
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    +1 My goal is modest portions and wide variety. I also have a goal of at least 1 meat-free meal per week, but like to make it 2--if nothing else, it helps force some variety, but I'm also trying to be more concious of my meat consumption.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Namaxy View Post
    Well said.
    Thank you Sir

+ Reply to Thread