3 hours sharpening today....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwiefel

Reaction score
Spent about 3 hours shaprening knives today, 5 different blades:

40+ year old Forschner Boning Knife
?? year old K Dick
Ittosai Bunka
Tojiro ITK
Gengetsu 180MM petty

probably 2.5 hours was spent on the forschner + k dick knives. they were in pretty bad shape. the forschner had a big hole/gouge/belly in the edge that prevented about 1" of it from touching the cutting board. spent quite a lot of time on the 1k with this knife trying to flatten the edge back out...raised one hell of a burr near the heel too.

was able to raise a burr on both sides of all 5 knives on the 1K and the 5K both...was interesting to feel the difference in the burr between the 2 stones.

then spent a few minutes on the 8K mizayuma with the gengetsu and polished off some of the patina as well as some damage I did to the cladding a few weeks ago...almost looks right again.

when I was done, all 5 push-cut paper along the entire edge. This is a huge step forward for me...3 hours very well spent.

About to ship the Tojiro and the CCK1303 off to some friends as part of a passaround program I have to spread the love of good/J knives. Hoping to get more folks into the community! (and spend more time on the stones)

now you need to go to a nail place to get some treatment for your hands!

Congratulations, you have surely achieved a permanent skill increase. You may get rusty, but not that rusty anymore.

You're definitely getting in good practice time that will pay you dividends in future sharpening sessions :)

now you need to go to a nail place to get some treatment for your hands!

heh...yes, it was not kind to fingernails or skin!

Congratulations, you have surely achieved a permanent skill increase. You may get rusty, but not that rusty anymore.

You're definitely getting in good practice time that will pay you dividends in future sharpening sessions :)

Thanks! I think so too...those two stainless knives just took forever, but I was feeling confident that I was doing it properly and just kept going. Seems I was right in the end. I need to get a coarse stone for that kind of work in the future though...I've never seen so much swarf before, could have made tiny mudcakes from it. After that, the 3 carbon knives were like a dream...SOOO much easier.

Latest posts

Back