Thread: 3 hours sharpening today....

3 hours sharpening today....

Spent about 3 hours shaprening knives today, 5 different blades:

40+ year old Forschner Boning Knife
    ?? year old K Dick
    Ittosai Bunka
    Tojiro ITK
    Gengetsu 180MM petty

probably 2.5 hours was spent on the forschner + k dick knives. they were in pretty bad shape. the forschner had a big hole/gouge/belly in the edge that prevented about 1" of it from touching the cutting board. spent quite a lot of time on the 1k with this knife trying to flatten the edge back out...raised one hell of a burr near the heel too.

was able to raise a burr on both sides of all 5 knives on the 1K and the 5K both...was interesting to feel the difference in the burr between the 2 stones.

then spent a few minutes on the 8K mizayuma with the gengetsu and polished off some of the patina as well as some damage I did to the cladding a few weeks ago...almost looks right again.

when I was done, all 5 push-cut paper along the entire edge. This is a huge step forward for me...3 hours very well spent.

About to ship the Tojiro and the CCK1303 off to some friends as part of a passaround program I have to spread the love of good/J knives. Hoping to get more folks into the community! (and spend more time on the stones)
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

now you need to go to a nail place to get some treatment for your hands!

Congratulations, you have surely achieved a permanent skill increase. You may get rusty, but not that rusty anymore.

You're definitely getting in good practice time that will pay you dividends in future sharpening sessions
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by Sara@JKI View Post
    now you need to go to a nail place to get some treatment for your hands!
    heh...yes, it was not kind to fingernails or skin!

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    Congratulations, you have surely achieved a permanent skill increase. You may get rusty, but not that rusty anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    You're definitely getting in good practice time that will pay you dividends in future sharpening sessions
    Thanks! I think so too...those two stainless knives just took forever, but I was feeling confident that I was doing it properly and just kept going. Seems I was right in the end. I need to get a coarse stone for that kind of work in the future though...I've never seen so much swarf before, could have made tiny mudcakes from it. After that, the 3 carbon knives were like a dream...SOOO much easier.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

+ Reply to Thread