First Japanese Knife-Starting Strong

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chips

Reaction score
I've been a silent admirer for a long time of fine Japanese blades, spending a great deal of time plotting and deciding what I'd like to add to my collection of kitchen knives. I have plenty of Forschner's and F.Dick knives for rough work and I picked up an all steel Global style Ko-Deba a few years back.

I knew I wanted aesthetics and form fore-mostly, since the basic Gyuto design already established a solid foundation of it's function. So, I only wanted a mirror finished blade with a lot of edge work on the spine and choil, with gentle rounded curves. It obviously had to be very close to a 50/50 bevel with a handle that works for a left-handed user. I knew 240mm would be a perfect size and there were plenty of Gyuto's in this range. So I ended up with a Konosuke Honyaki Wa-Gyuto 240mm. I'm thrilled with it's F&F and it's natural balance in my hand. I only have one, very old, carbon steel carving knife that has a nice patina, but I'm unsure of what to do about the coating on the finish of this one, whether or not I should use some acetone and remove it, or leave it be?

_MG_8362.jpg

_MG_8363.jpg

_MG_8366.jpg

_MG_8371.jpg

_MG_8375.jpg

_MG_8377.jpg

I love working with my hands and being creative. It wont be long till I buy a cheaper Yanagiba and do all the polishing and finishing work myself, then send it off for a nice custom handle. As far as this Konosuke goes, I just need to get a fine quality saya to go with it. I got a basic one, but would like a custom exotic wood saya soon.

Thanks for looking. I love reading this forum and seeing everyone else's gear. I thought I'd finally jump in the water and share.

Tom

Welcome and thanks for sharing, way ballsy to jump in the game on the back of a honyaki... I like it! :D

Thank you all. Yes, it will be babied for a long time, no doubt. My finest EdgePro stone only goes to 5K, so I'll be gingerly caring for it until I order a few finer stones and strop this week.

One hell of a way to start and +1 for the lefties! Strength in numbers boys! I don't know how the edge pro grit ratings go, but 5k Is usually a pretty good place to stop for general purpose knives in the kitchen. Overly polished edges, while being fairly mind blowing for a short period of time tend to loose their bite pretty quickly making cutting foods with tougher skins a little more difficult.

Not THAT'S how you dive in head first!! Welcome aboard!!

Welcome to the Knut House! It's all downhill from here!

Steven Stefano, yeah it's White #2, the handle was a custom addition done by request of the sellers, JKTG.

Can anyone comment about removing the lacquer on the blade? I'm weighing my options and can't decide. I wouldn't want small scratches or areas of removed varnish to patina when the rest of the knife is still protected.

Welcome to the forum! Beautiful knife! Well done.

You can use acetone with a paper towel to remove the lacquer. It may take several wipes to get it all off. I like to use a fresh towel for each wipe.

Really pretty knife! Go ahead and take the lacquer off, it will wear away anyway and look like crap. Enjoy the nature of the steel and post up in this thread when you can.

not what i would have bought as a first high end knife, but certainly a nice knife.

Thanks again everyone. After looking over the patina thread a few times in the past months, I figured I'd go ahead and give it a try. No pics to share just yet, I'm actually in the process of doing it now.

I'm telling ya bro, just stick your head all the way in that hole, there's a big white rabbit down there. Close your eyes, you'll be able to see him better:evilgrin:

Be well,
Mikey

I've been a silent admirer for a long time of fine Japanese blades, spending a great deal of time plotting and deciding what I'd like to add to my collection of kitchen knives. I have plenty of Forschner's and F.Dick knives for rough work and I picked up an all steel Global style Ko-Deba a few years back.

I knew I wanted aesthetics and form fore-mostly, since the basic Gyuto design already established a solid foundation of it's function. So, I only wanted a mirror finished blade with a lot of edge work on the spine and choil, with gentle rounded curves. It obviously had to be very close to a 50/50 bevel with a handle that works for a left-handed user. I knew 240mm would be a perfect size and there were plenty of Gyuto's in this range. So I ended up with a Konosuke Honyaki Wa-Gyuto 240mm. I'm thrilled with it's F&F and it's natural balance in my hand. I only have one, very old, carbon steel carving knife that has a nice patina, but I'm unsure of what to do about the coating on the finish of this one, whether or not I should use some acetone and remove it, or leave it be?

_MG_8362.jpg

_MG_8363.jpg

_MG_8366.jpg

_MG_8371.jpg

_MG_8375.jpg

_MG_8377.jpg

I love working with my hands and being creative. It wont be long till I buy a cheaper Yanagiba and do all the polishing and finishing work myself, then send it off for a nice custom handle. As far as this Konosuke goes, I just need to get a fine quality saya to go with it. I got a basic one, but would like a custom exotic wood saya soon.

Thanks for looking. I love reading this forum and seeing everyone else's gear. I thought I'd finally jump in the water and share.

Tom

thats a fantastic knife

Funny to see someone bump this thread again with some praise. It's always nice to hear though. I'm actually trying to determine the best deal and best options for stroping and polishing the edge on this and my other knives, so that led me back here. I won't cross post, I'll start a thread in the sharpening section, but I was going to link this thread for reference.

Back