Im always looking for interesting topics and I thought this might be cool! What do you do when you get a new knife? Any special rituals or steps?
When i buy a knife I go through a series of stages before I use It mainly:
1) ARRIVAL. the knife arrives I thoroughly check it for imperfections, grind, thickness, smoothness and quality of materials, sharpness, size, geometry, etc. It it the same as the picture? Did t meet expectations? Am I reviewing this one?
2) PICTURES. I always take the knife and take some pictures while its pristine in different settings... On a board, on granite while its pristine! Specially if its carbon.
3) CONTEMPLATION. I place the knife on my wooden rack and look a it for a couple of days. Send some pictures!
4) INAUGURATION. Decide which special dish or preparation Im ignaugurating that special knife on? This is actually probably the most ritualistic part or a purchase... Does it require a french traditional dish? Is it fusion? Maybe sushi?
5) USE. I use the knife and adjust expectations... How does it handle? How well does it retain its edge? what is the best use of that knife? Prepping? Proteins? Vegetables? Everything?
6) MAINTENANCE. What stones am I going to use, how often is it going to be used.. Is this a keeper? Is it going to be a patina knife? Forced or not?