Haslinger Giveaway!!!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Reaction score
This is something that we just can't seem to get to work, because of paypal's stupid rules (if anyone has a better means of payment, please let me and all the vendors and craftsmen know!..anyways...)

However, the Haslinger passaround knife is back in my hands, in relatively good shape. One "H" pin is chipped, and there's typical wear that can be associated with lots of use, over a year. All in all, though, it's in great shape!

Thomas was very, very grateful for the great comments some of you sent and posted. He figured out areas that need some tweaking and his newest work will show these changes (blade height/knuckle clearance, thinness behind the edge). As a little thank you, he wants the knife to be "sold", with every penny going to KKF, to keep it going strong! However, he also wants it to go to someone who could really use the knife. Either someone who can't afford to treat himself, or an apprentice/young chef, just starting out.

Originally, we wanted a raffle for the knife, and the winner got to choose who gets the prize. However, the winner must PIF it to a worthy recipient. This all seemed great, until we realized that paypal won't allow raffles, etc, etc.

Does anyone have a good idea of how we can raise the appropriate funds, and still PIF this to someone who deserves it? If so, I'm all ears!

Essentially, all we want is this knife to raise money for the forum we all love, as a community, and then get the knife to someone worthy of such a generous gift.

Thanks, everyone!

Oh crap. I didn't see the one on BST.
This might take a while, so don't wait around for this, hoping you receive the PIF, if you get what I'm saying....

It may be old skool, but you could have people mail you $ for the ticket amount? Set a date you need to have the $, and schedule the drawing for, say, a week later, just in case anything gets help up in the mail. The main issue would be the type of currency...

Bacon, eh? I know Jack would take salted almonds as currency, so maybe he'll take salty bacon, in trade for cash that can come here(?). You just might be on to something....

I just realized a problem. My bacon isn't Canadian so it might not work up there.

Also, you're just going to use money to buy bacon anyway so why not go to the heart of the matter.

Travis, you're very wrong. Bacon grows on trees, up here! I don't need to waste money on that stuff.

Truer words have never been written. In fact, in elementary school we take an oath. I can't tell you all of it, but one line goes like this, "I will do my best to frustrate those who are rude with kindness and apologies, even when not my fault, and offer them a perfectly sliced piece of bacon off my family's tree."

I should likely stop there, as I've already given too much....

Thanks Lefty for keeping the PIF spirit going! We can figure out some way to make it happen.
I guess we could PIF in bacon or even almonds too.

How about have those interested make a donation to KKF in an obscure amount, like $5.67 and someone can enter those names with the peculiar amount in a spreadsheet, then go from there?

Alright, i'm gonna run it by Dave. I think we're going to have to keep it open to anyone, but I would love for those who enter to donate to the forum. No minimum or maximum donation ;), but I still want to know how much our little giveaway raised, so perhaps the obscure amount idea will make it trackable.

Thanks again, guys (and Lucretia)

Still working this one out, and waiting a bit, in light of recent fundraising efforts (great job, Bill!!!). However, I brought the Haslinger into the firehall today, got an unprocessed loin, and ended up with this:

CFC83F18-49A2-4560-AAE8-DABCA794A7DC-1197-000001CE30A3EA3C.jpg

It was a "rush job", but man, is this tip great for trimming silverskin and fat! Oh...this is for 8 guys....

You guys eat too much!!! Haha

So, in a random turn of events, the Haslinger has been passed-on to another member of this great forum. He's a cool guy who I meet up with pretty regularly and he happens to work with another member here, who I'm sure will get his turn with the knife. It'll be used in a pro kitche by these guys (knuts) and I expect a fair bit of cool reviewy type material. :)

After that, this thing is gonna find a loving home :)

I don't even have that word in my vocabulary...and not cuz I'm dumb, but because of the obvious. So there! Haha

Gave this thing a good trial today, does well on striploins, and slicing proteins on line. Not the greatest for vegetables for myself. I came from using a french chef knife as a young lad, and kind of went to gyutos. If you enjoy a good german profile, with good steel, good edge, this is the knife for you, it isn't the knife for me though.

I am too much of a push/pull cutter for this guy. Like I said, it really wants to slice protein, but it just doesn't have the profile I am looking for as a versatile chefs knife, I would need a flatter gyuto for vegetables. It would be a nice line knife, it's got a short enough blade height to slice well, and can do anything in a pinch. So, if you like the profile, this knife won't let you down, it's a bit handle heavy, but feels pretty good and gets nice and sharp. Thinking about its profile, first thing I am going to do is dice an onion with it tomorrow, it might do the business on dicing onions.

Thanks for letting Trev take this for a run Tom, I saw it this morning and said, "I know that knife" I have been interested in Haslinger's work for a couple years now, just never got around to ordering one for myself, his profiles never struck me, I always thought, nice knife, not for me though. This little trial kind of confirmed that for me, but I would have no problem ordering a custom in a slightly flatter gyuto shape, or just not a gyuto, something else altogether. Good to support the forum guys, and also good to support our fellow Canadians, there isn't a lot of us making knives.

Back