Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Shigefusa 240 Passaround

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Just an update: The knife will finally leave my possession tomorrow. Two snafus with the post office and midterms week; sorry to those anxiously waiting.

Nice write-up, Andrew!

Went out to Chinacats today. Will post my thoughts in another day or so. tkerns got half a day with it while it was in the DC area, but not sure he was able to form much of an opinion in that limited time.

In a nutshell there were a lot of things to like. The one thing that I was not fond of was the balance point -- it was a bit farther forward then I am used to and led to minor wrist discomfort. The 'fix' was to choke up on the blade a bit more, but that reduced the effective cutting length. A rehandle with a metal spacer or two might pull it back a little to where it suits me better. But all-in-all it had great F&F and cut well. Definitely different then the thin petty I got from Maxim earlier in the year, but cut from the same cloth as the kitaeji nakiri I got from Marko about 2 years ago.

I enjoyed using it for the limited time I had it. For a large knife its surprisingly nimble. I agree that it needs a bit of counter balance in the handle. Overall though just a solid, well made, excellent example of a knife that can perform.

and kern, David. No "s"

Knife has arrived...can't wait to try it!
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Knife has shipped to Chifunda who should hopefully receive it Monday. This knife completely exceeded my expectations, a cutting beast. As WildBoar and Tkern both stated the balance point is well forward, this suited me perfectly though as I use the knife at home and don't have to use it for hours at the time, it reminded me very much of my old Kochi in this respect. The geometry is awesome, no stiction with anything I cut and seemed to slide through most every type of vegetable. I also really liked the profile as there was no point on the blade that I couldn't get good clean cuts--the tip was also very usable for me. Overall, I now really want a Shigefusa gyuto though I may choose a 270 just for personal preference. Many thanks to Ben for making this happen!

Cheers,
    Jim
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Some comparo pics for blade profiles/ geometry.

DT ITK 240
    Shigi
    Fowler
    DT
    Konosuke 270

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000170.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	11169Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000171.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	11170

I have a sheet of paper with the knife weights and heel-to-tip lengths, but it has been temporarily misplaced

The Shigi was taller at the heel then all the other knives but the Fowler, and maintained that height most of the way towards the tip. Kinda shaped like a killer whale. For as heavy as it felt, it turned out to be no heavier then the Fowler or DT; all three with ~225 grams, give or take 10 grams (the 270 Konosuke was a LOT lighter -- somewhere around 170 grams, if I remember correctly).

Thanks David, love the profile picture. Just wondering, does anybody have a pic of a 240 Shigefusa and a Watanabe next to each other? I keep thinking that theirs are my favorite profiles, but don't think I have ever seen a direct comparison.

Stefan

I know i'm late but if it's possible could I join the Asian leg of this pass around? I would love to compare it with my slightly thinner shig. Thanks
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Just got it the other day, this knife is a monster very thick spine, but super thin edge. It cuts very well i mean one of the best cutters that i have had, id say overall my Marko knife cut a little better as the Shig will wedge on harder things, however it cuts almost anything without hassle. I love the extra weight and the larger handle actually is pretty comfortable. I used this as my thanksgiving prep knife at work and man it did a great job just tore through everything like it was a part of my hand. The edge retention is quite good i didnt see what steel it is but better than most carbons ive had, started to lose that popping sharp edge now but i touched it up on the strop for today was going to keep it til wednesday but i think i will try to send it out monday instead i have had my good share of use with this great knife.

Thanks again for letting me try it, now i just gotta find some money to buy one.... hmm what can i sell haha