Quantcast
(86ph0) Popup Restaurant - Presented by YellowHouse - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: (86ph0) Popup Restaurant - Presented by YellowHouse

We are going to be doing these regularly, so hopefully you will be able to make it to one of them. We had so many ideas for variations on the menu that we will have to do a few of these just to try them all. I have 500 containers for soup, so we are going to have to do a few for me to get my money back on those! I think I have enough for about 120-150 bowls of soup at the moment, at first that seemed like way too much, now it looks like I might sell out by nights end. Hopefully that is the case.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Let me know if you ever want some free hands. Be a fun excuse to get out of town and hang.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    We are going to be doing these regularly, so hopefully you will be able to make it to one of them. We had so many ideas for variations on the menu that we will have to do a few of these just to try them all. I have 500 containers for soup, so we are going to have to do a few for me to get my money back on those! I think I have enough for about 120-150 bowls of soup at the moment, at first that seemed like way too much, now it looks like I might sell out by nights end. Hopefully that is the case.
    Love it when turns into sounds like you got the right amount.

As for pbr. I went to many sin nights. I usually Drank Bud, until I got a taste for something with more flavor. But I never did smoke so I could afford the good stuff.
    Chewie's the man.

Shortribs just dipped into their 72 hour long bath...

now you're getting dirty

Nice! I've meaning to play around with this for a bit now. We've been 'slow' braising them for awhile now. They're tasty, but they always have a bit of that 'chalky' mouthfeel. Love to hear how these come out. What'd you do for seasoning?

Brined for 6 hours or so. Star anise, ginger, cinnamon, brown sugar in the brine. Made a pho broth with oxtails (the recipe from Modernist Cuisine, but with no plain beef bones, all oxtail), charred onions and ginger, star anise, cinnamon, yellow rock sugar, fish sauce and a little soy. Reduced some to demi-ish consistency. Put some of that in the bags w/ the beef. It is actually "boneless shortrib", aka chuck flap. So from start to finish, these will have taken us just over a week to make.

Ya know, just your traditional beef pho!

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    I really love Pho, but I am afraid to have it in restaurants due to my shellfish allergy. Do you use shrimp paste in your broth? Not that it matters because I am not crossing the country to partake........
    shouldn't be any shrimp paste in any pho broth, if there is someone doesn't know what they are doing. Fish sauce yes, shrimp paste no.No soy sauce either, that's Chinese. Grumble! Grumble! Grumble! Damn white people! There is shrimp paste in the other famous Vietnamese soup called Bun Bo Hue. Mother was a Vietnamese cook in Vietnam during the war. If I ever head back that way, I'll make you some Pho pronounced fuh not fo, dammit! Yeah I said it. lighten up.lol
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Nice menu, Johnny good luck with it.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Great looking menu. Agree with Sach on the Pho though

Thanks for sharing the short rib photo. I've been going 134..always wondered if it was a little high.