Quantcast
Favorite Cookbooks? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Cookbooks?

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    Best overall, comprehensive Japanese cookbook that I've come across. I've had my book for over ten years. I go to this book first when I look for any Japanese recipe.

While the seasoning may differ from what one prefers, the recipes that I've tried are, for the most part, accurate.

Also, this edition supposedly has more pictures which was one of my complaints of the original book. It's a must for anyone interested in Japanese cooking, IMHO.

FWIW, my mother is Japanese, I grew up speaking Japanese and eating Japanese food, regularly cook Japanese food, and it's still, to this day, my favorite type of food.
    Sugoi! Thanks, sounds like I've made a great purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    Wow. 300? 475+? I think I have two dozen books and a floating handful of magazines, but I frequently scour the 'net for recipes or techniques. I believe I've learned more watching Ciril Hitz and old Pepin videos on Youtube than from most books. My Amazon Wish List always has cookbooks in it, but I rarely actually pull the trigger on them. A bunch of mine were gifts, some hand-me-downs and some are from the bargain bins at the front of B&N/Borders-Waldenbooks (RIP)/Chapters-Coles-etc.
    SameGuy - Know what you mean, and I don't have a big collection of books either. Maybe 50, but many carefully chosen. I know about lots of the ones cited as 'favs' because you could borrow them from the Toronto Public Library ('best in N.America') and I'd have them for a month or so and noted down what I needed.

Not sure if this is possible in Montreal, though.

much more awesomer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutty Sharp View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on this one. Just looked it up and see it's over 100 bucks new, but somehow found a listing for under 20 - ordered!
    Uhh, yeah, how did that happen? Listings everywhere for $65 to $110... and Amazon Prime has the hardcover for $18 and change? Ordered.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    Uhh, yeah, how did that happen? Listings everywhere for $65 to $110... and Amazon Prime has the hardcover for $18 and change? Ordered.
    Exactement!

much more awesomer
    Wish-listed Japanese Cooking, too. Thanks for that​ heads-up!
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Yeah - we're on a roll!

Japanese Cooking is a great book. I haven't yet read it cover to cover, but it is still the standard that in some way or another I compare other Japanese cuisine cookbooks against.

Izakaya is a cool little book. I have to admit that I've had that sitting on my shelf mostly unread for quite some time! I haven't really delved into this one.
    Len

I'm not sure it's my absolute favorite, but this is the best pure vegetarian Indian cookbook I've come across. Aside from the obvious stuff like Rasam and Sambar, there is substantial coverage of podis (spice mixes, usually for adding directly to otherwise plain rice, but also can be quickstarts for sambar/rasam/etc.).

http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Home-P...g+with+pedatha
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    After that last thread I laid down some good change on some cookbooks -- some I have used and some I haven't yet.

But a question for you cookbook addicts: How do you manage the info and use all of those books? Do you just read through them leisurely and dream of food? Do you focus on one book for a while and cook a bunch of things from it and then move on? Do you go to some index when you have an ingredient from the farmer's market that you want to use? Or do you just use it for ideas and inspiration? Just wondering.

In the past I used to page through the entire cookbook, skim the recipes and star the ones I really wanted to cook, and then write on the inside of the cover the those page numbers. So whenever I wanted something new I would just pull a book, flip to the inside cover and start going down the list of page numbers until I found something I liked. It was kind of nice and sort of a randomizer of my recipes.

On the other hand, I am way too anal about clipping recipes from magazines. It started when I was living abroad and had few English-language cooking magazines and I couldn't lug around cookbooks. I would clip recipes I wanted to cook, and then file it. So if I wanted to do a different pasta dish than normal, I just pulled out the folder for something to make. If I didn't like it I would toss the recipe, if it was good enough to stick around I just refiled it back into the rotation, and if it was really good it would graduate to a 'favorites' folder. Did I not say I was anal about this? But 20 years from now that favorites folder will have some pretty damn good, family tested recipes.

Nowadays with cookbooks, I use the Eat Your Books website. I just used it a couple of days ago when I had a boat load of fresh beans that needed to be eaten. I found an interesting recipe in one of my books in about 5 minutes.

k.
    I buy books based on the amount of technique exhibited. Recipes are interesting, but I never use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    I'm not sure it's my absolute favorite, but this is the best pure vegetarian Indian cookbook I've come across. Aside from the obvious stuff like Rasam and Sambar, there is substantial coverage of podis (spice mixes, usually for adding directly to otherwise plain rice, but also can be quickstarts for sambar/rasam/etc.).
    http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Home-P...g+with+pedatha
    Oooh, sounds good!

Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    Japanese Cooking is a great book. I haven't yet read it cover to cover, but it is still the standard that in some way or another I compare other Japanese cuisine cookbooks against.
    Izakaya is a cool little book. I have to admit that I've had that sitting on my shelf mostly unread for quite some time! I haven't really delved into this one.
    Is it really sitting on your self, or in truth have you misplaced this one as well?

Len, Len, Len - you've probabaly lost more than most of us will ever own!

+ Reply to Thread