Quantcast
Looking for some input for a Christmas gift - Chef knife/Gyuto - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for some input for a Christmas gift - Chef knife/Gyuto

Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    I have the CarboNext knife and love it. It's not stainless, but it's also not fussy. I've had mine for I guess 8 months or so and nary a patina. Sharpens very nicely. Go 240 mm.
    Thanks for that input. If you knew nothing about the knife, would you have assumed it was stainless?

-AJ

Black Friday is right around the corner--EE had some pretty good deals last year. Just something to keep in mind.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    Black Friday is right around the corner--EE had some pretty good deals last year. Just something to keep in mind.
    Good to know. I have never thought of them for after Thanksgiving sales. Unfortunately I am not familiar with many of the brands they sell.

-AJ

Looking at Epicurean Edge is a little overwhelming. These seem like they might fit the bill:
    9.5 in Henckels Miyabi
    9.5 in Might Chef MAC
    10 in Shun Classic
    9.5 in Kumagoro
    9.5 in Akifusa

I don't recognize any of these names from reading this forum other than the Miyabi which seems to be 50/50 love/hate here.

-AJ

I know Blueway Japan has been spoken of highly here. What about this knife though I have serious doubts it is honyaki?:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-MAS...item35bad9fb0a

-AJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    I know Blueway Japan has been spoken of highly here. What about this knife though I have serious doubts it is honyaki?:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-MAS...item35bad9fb0a

-AJ
    Seems as though the top line might be called "honyaki", though not truly made as such.

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    Thanks for that input. If you knew nothing about the knife, would you have assumed it was stainless?

-AJ
    Well, I'm not sure. If you read the web blurb on japanesechefknives, it's clear that it is a semi-stainless (the Japanese characters on the blade say 本鋼, which means something like "raw steel," probably a tool steel of some kind). But like I said, as you as you don't do something stupid like put it in a dishwasher or leave acidic juice on it for hours on end, I think it behaves pretty close to a stainless steel knife. Hope this helps.

One of my concerns is knife maintenance. As I said, she has a friend do it for her, I am pretty sure on belts. She is not one who is going to pick up a set of water stones. I don't want to get her too much knife that sharpening is an issue. I think many Japanese knives would fall in this category. I just want to get something that is noticeably better. I don't know if that is an F. Dick or a CarboNext or what? I know it's not a Devin Thomas, a Gesshin Hide, etc.

Thanks,

-AJ

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Suisin Inox Western or CarboNext IMO. You don't need to spend any more than that.