D. Martell KKF Butcher Knife Project is happening!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
Ok so this project almost 2 years in the making and nothing solid has been done to move forward, lots of talk and designing but no steel on the bench.

The plan is to make the first step now and get the ball rolling.

I will do batches/runs of these knives first....

1. 12" Scimitar - 52100 $399

2. Boning Knife - 52100 $250

Handles (will be wood) and specific construction will be Dave's choice. :spiteful:

I'm an antique knifenut from way back and appreciate the older patterns and slight variations in the more traditional ways that knives were designed and made years ago. The KKF butcher knives will have an old feeling to them, possibly distressed, or pre-patina'd even but will be new made from modern steel and heat treat. I'm looking to provide old school flavor combined with modern metallurgy and construction techniques. :thumbsup:

I'm thinking about making only what is ordered (like limited runs of specific patterns), taking 50% deposit at the time of ordering for steel and wood purchasing and getting going on setting this up for start up after my current orders are filled. And by the way, my current knife orders are going to start moving along a hell of a lot quicker here real soon so this isn't an issue for me to be concerned with. By doing this I'm setting up my work schedule for the foreseeable future and this is a good thing.

If you'd be interested in ordering a knife (or knives) from this run please post your interest and I'll get with you on sending you an invoice.

Thanks,
Dave

PS - there will be other knife types in the butcher line coming out later on down the line, we have lots of plans for some unique offerings. :)

Especially a profile pic of the boning knife.

I have wanted this for a long time....just need to decide which one, but I am in.

I wanted to ask you guys are you more interested in a traditional straight edged boning knife (where the curve only exists at the tip) or more of a trimming knife (same length but slight curve along the entire length)?

Also, there's the skinning knife that's a bit longer and wider and that's all curve (sort of a mini-scimitar). This will be made on the next round.

I forgot to mention that the handles will be very old school traditional looking yet smoothed over for a nice un-blocky feel.

I wanted to ask you guys are you more interested in a traditional straight edged boning knife (where the curve only exists at the tip) or more of a trimming knife (same length but slight curve along the entire length)?

Also, there's the skinning knife that's a bit longer and wider and that's all curve (sort of a mini-scimitar). This will be made on the next round.

More trimming here, but I can go both ways,just excited to see it going.

The trimming style is what I want to make but I figure that this is a good time to ask.

Please keep the opinions coming though. :)

Anybody have a link to the old thread? I'm leaving work and can't look it up.

12" 52100 scimitar, sign me up for one when you are doing this! Great idea Dave.

Dave,

I'm interested. Just want to see what the knives are going to look like.

-Chuck

I did this a while ago. It might make a good reference.

scim001.jpg

Could you make a # 13 and hold it for me ? I should be back on my feet in a few months? I could donate some stabilized extinct American chestnut, it was a very popular wood 100 years ago.

i hope you go with a design similar to saltys pictures rather then bullnose. just not a big fan of using bullnose tip... they just feel clumsy to me.

A scimitar (steak knife) with a 12" blade is what we're going to make first along with a boning knife.

Thanks for the sketches Salty!

I would like a " bull nose " , I've always used one of these.
The extra metal up front seems to help keep portioning cuts as even as possible . I also like using the extreme curve in the front for trimming the chain and small pieces of membrane from the bottom sides of whole beef loins ( porterhouse or ribeye ).
Having some sort of finger guard and a non slippery handle would be essential features for a busy pro kitchen.

Very interested to see what ever you come up with Dave...

Hi Matt, the hold up is in getting the steel in the correct sizes. I'm looking to go with a thicker sheet than I usually work with for this project and the cleaver project too. Thanks for asking!

Latest posts

Back