Quantcast
Help needed. - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help needed.

Maybe it's a short-term v long-term thing...? Or depends on how much steel you need to abrade? or what kind of steel?

Anyway, we probably ought to start a new thread to continue this discussion, I've kinda hi-jacked Znunez72's Hello/Help thread.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I think the best bet, (and I did this too), is call Jon and Japanese Knife Imports. He'll spend some time with you over the phone or via E-mail and lead you down the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    If you use them dry they load up so fast that they won't cut, in my experience. There is also some research that shows that using a diamond plate dry will cause damage to the crystalline structure of the steel, but I would have to dig around some to find it, a guy names Brent Beach has written about it over on the Old Tools list.
    Not to belabor this any further, but this is pretty academic since most everyone here uses waterstones, not diamond plates or Arkansas stones to sharpen their knives.

The hijacking doesn't bother me. The discussion caused me to research the topic. Knowledge for the sake of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Znunez72 View Post
    The hijacking doesn't bother me. The discussion caused me to research the topic. Knowledge for the sake of knowledge.
    If you are interested in more on Arkansas stones, there is a good article here: http://www.cookfoodgood.com/?p=21

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    If you are interested in more on Arkansas stones, there is a good article here: http://www.cookfoodgood.com/?p=21

Rick
    Great article Rick, thanks! I'm sure I've seen AR stones throughout my youth, but never used one or talked with anyone about them who truly knew what they were talking about.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

... works better dry, as do DMT...
    say what?

Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post
    say what?
    "What."

They do. It's a PITA to clean the swarf from the stone, but they cut faster and cleaner when dry. Don't believe me, try it for yourself. I was skeptical until I did.

"What."

They do. It's a PITA to clean the swarf from the stone, but they cut faster and cleaner when dry. Don't believe me, try it for yourself. I was skeptical until I did.
    +1
    Just a couple weeks ago I was bitching about my DMT-c not cutting, then read the advice here. Saturday I spent an hour or so thinning an old knife with the DMT dry, and voila! the thing did cut much faster. It also required more frequent cleaning, but the increase in speed and effectiveness more than made up for it. I don't care if it wears out faster, because now it actually works!

Quote Originally Posted by Znunez72 View Post
    So last night I was preparing dinner and came to the realization that my block set of knives is useless. I typically only use the chefs nice and the rest are just collecting dust. I started browsing online to find the correct way to sharpen it and stumbled upon this forum. I realized I'm clueless to all terminology. What hard copy books do you recommend to read for gaining a basic knowledge of higher end knives. And please be kind. Up until last night I thought my calphalon set was top notch!
    ... yes, the expectation for "sharpness" changes, usually elevates, in the course of knife nerdiness....

+ Reply to Thread