Quantcast
Help needed.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help needed.

Help needed.

So last night I was preparing dinner and came to the realization that my block set of knives is useless. I typically only use the chefs nice and the rest are just collecting dust. I started browsing online to find the correct way to sharpen it and stumbled upon this forum. I realized I'm clueless to all terminology. What hard copy books do you recommend to read for gaining a basic knowledge of higher end knives. And please be kind. Up until last night I thought my calphalon set was top notch!

Welcome to the Knut House! One good source of information is this forum! There is a glossary around here somewhere, if you browse the list of sub-forums you will find all sorts of useful information.
    Oh ya, in the main forum, the first sub is "kitchen knife knowledge". Go there!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I know there are some books people here are fond of. However, to be honest, you can learn a ton just by browsing this site. Another site to look at is zknives. Then browse the vendor sites. My favorites include Japanese Chefs Knives, Japanese Knife Imports, Korin trading, A Frames Tokyo, Japanese Natural Stones, Japan Woodworker, Epicurean Edge to name few. They all have some form of introductory remarks about the craft, the knifemakers, styles of knives, the properties of different steels, and the methods of manufacture. If you want hardcopy reading, I think Korin has a pdf of their catalog you could download and print, and the first 10 pages or so give a good overview of these things.

Also...people here are very helpful, and far more expert than I am. I've never seen a question go un-answered. Good luck...I'll warn you that the journey along this learning curve is addictive

I have been browsing JCK throughout the day and I must say I'm awestruck. I decided to start reading about the quality of the current set I own and I'm not satisfied with what I have now. I know my techniques and fundamentals of knife care are lacking, but that's why I joined. My work limits my ability to use my phone or a computer throughout the day. That's why I am interested in an actual book to get myself started.

Quote Originally Posted by Znunez72 View Post
    I have been browsing JCK throughout the day and I must say I'm awestruck. I decided to start reading about the quality of the current set I own and I'm not satisfied with what I have now. I know my techniques and fundamentals of knife care are lacking, but that's why I joined. My work limits my ability to use my phone or a computer throughout the day. That's why I am interested in an actual book to get myself started.
    Chad Ward's "An Edge in the Kitchen": http://www.amazon.com/An-Edge-Kitche...dp/0061188484/

Everything you are interested in is in this book.

Rick

"An Edge in the Kitchen by Chad Ward. A lot of the information in this book is available somewhere on line, too, but I don't see the link right off.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    "An Edge in the Kitchen by Chad Ward. A lot of the information in this book is available somewhere on line, too, but I don't see the link right off.
    http://forums.egullet.org/topic/2603...nd-sharpening/

When I joined some helpful fellow posted this link for me, and so here it is for you: a glossary of knife terms http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...light=glossary by Eamon Burke

welcome!
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.