Hello from Norway

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lechef

Reaction score
Hello to all of you.

I became a member of this forum mainly to get help to buy a couple of good knifes, at least a chef knife. I work as a chef app, and my sous-chef has this Hattori KD which is of course a f***** nice knife. Since I don't have the time, drive, money or whatever to find a KD I wonder which knife out there is the best on the market and available with little wait? I am looking for a traditional looking western chef knife, 20-24 cm, with a great Japanese blade. Should I go for something on the JCK website, any tips?

Regards

Welcome to the Knut House! I have confidence that you will be getting a few suggestions on this...........

Hello to all of you.

I became a member of this forum mainly to get help to buy a couple of good knifes, at least a chef knife. I work as a chef app, and my sous-chef has this Hattori KD which is of course a f***** nice knife. Since I don't have the time, drive, money or whatever to find a KD I wonder which knife out there is the best on the market and available with little wait? I am looking for a traditional looking western chef knife, 20-24 cm, with a great Japanese blade. Should I go for something on the JCK website, any tips?

Regards

EDIT: Price is not so important. This is an investment for me so I am ok with spending 0-1000$. For me the quality is the most important. :)

There are tons of great knives to be had in the scope of your criterias:)
If you are close to the capital, feel free to contact me to try out any of the ones I have in my collection.
Perhaps that can help you find a knife to your liking.

Welcome! That's a very generous budget you're working with. I'd look towards some of the custom makers that contribute to this forum. As well as JCK and JKI. Both have great customer service. Good luck on your quest!

Greetings! I am sure you will find something you like. And that offer from Birnando is very kind.

Cheers

Halla, I have a few to choose from also, if you wish to view them first.

But I dont have soooo many western handles.

Thank you, I will use some time to do some research on this. Have used a MAC so far and want something really good that can last some years.

I dunno man, people might think that you are showing off! That is a very attractive knife!

Welcome to the forum!

I hope you'll share your decision with us (as well as your first impressions once the knife arrives).

Thanks for the welcoming and help!

I have bought this knife: http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/Kato-Yoshiaki-Fujiwara-210mm-Gyuto-p/459.htm
"birnando" showed me this along with a lot of other knifes he had. For me it was excellent, its the best knife I ever tried. Have also bought some stones so are going to start practice sharpening with stones. From now on I will take proper care of my knifes and keep them sharp. :)

Just take into account, it is just 48mm high.
The main reason I sold my hiromoto. Its just low.

Appealing though.

The one I bought was 46mm. But that is what I prefer and have experience with. Maybe later I will start using bigger knifes...

I also considered buying a 24mm length steel but went for the 21. I will see if I need a bigger one, but I got quite small hands for being a man.

Thanks for the welcoming and help!

I have bought this knife: http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/Kato-Yoshiaki-Fujiwara-210mm-Gyuto-p/459.htm
"birnando" showed me this along with a lot of other knifes he had. For me it was excellent, its the best knife I ever tried. Have also bought some stones so are going to start practice sharpening with stones. From now on I will take proper care of my knifes and keep them sharp. :)

That's great!
I know you are gonna be super happy with that purchase:)
Let's do a honing evening as soon as you get the stones, I have a few knives for you to practice on!

Can not believe that so youre making Oslos gathering and doesnt invite me, doesnt want to get invited and doesnt think about some nice dinner together guys?

Scandalous.

Can not believe that so youre making Oslos gathering and doesnt invite me, doesnt want to get invited and doesnt think about some nice dinner together guys?

Scandalous.

Oh, but of course, naturally we'd welcome any and all to such an evening of honing and knife-geekery:)
Seeing as I am the only without a background in food, that goes without saying really:hungry:

Thanks for the welcoming.

I got my knife and stones some weeks ago. Knife is great, had a little accident the first day I used it, I chipped it a bit. But got that fixed, and its working very well now. :)

Tried to sharpen with the stones for the first time today. My old chef knife which was extremely dull got quite much sharper, but the edge is not perfect. When it cut I fell like it "bites the cuttingplate". Maybe I have the wrong angle? And when you sharpen I understand that you control the angle by using the thumb? I did that, but they both started to bleed, but thats maybe normal, my thumbs will get used to it?... Because it came much blood on the stone, which is maybe not good for the sharpening?

Back