Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Sabatiers

Does anybody know of the best way to get rid of the finger guard short of a full grinder?

Quote Originally Posted by pitonboy View Post
    Does anybody know of the best way to get rid of the finger guard short of a full grinder?
    There's no real need to remove it, all that needs to be done is to make enough clearance to allow you to get to all the edge.

Boar de Laze wrote a column in his blog about this: http://www.cookfoodgood.com/?p=351

Here's a pic of my 6" Sab:

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    There's no real need to remove it, all that needs to be done is to make enough clearance to allow you to get to all the edge.

Boar de Laze wrote a column in his blog about this: http://www.cookfoodgood.com/?p=351

Here's a pic of my 6" Sab:

Exactly. I've never found them to be a real issue.

Some might see them as redundant, and depending on how you use your knife this might be true.

Thanks for the link and more so for the pic. I wish BDL was around here. I like him. He turned me on the Jon at Japanese Knife Imports.

-AJ

He used to pop in from time to time....
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    Thanks for the link and more so for the pic. I wish BDL was around here. I like him. He turned me on the Jon at Japanese Knife Imports.

-AJ
    I've seen him on other forums and I always enjoy reading his posts. He sure knows a lot about Sabs and Japanese knives as well.
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

That being said, I would adjust the finger guard a little more. I would suggest to even it with your relief bevel.

How is the edge retention on these, I like the idea of having one of them in my kit.
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Edge retention before you need to slap it against a honing rod? Or between sharpenings? My old Verifiable Brunswick needs some love from the rod quite often, but that's just how they're used. Haven't been using mine long enough that it needs to hit the stones again though.

Quote Originally Posted by Von blewitt View Post
    How is the edge retention on these, I like the idea of having one of them in my kit.
    Edge retention is fair, certainly not like s hardened Japanese knife steel, but the edge is great and they resharpen quickly. The tradition aspect is very attractive also.