Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Sabatiers

Carbon Sabatiers

I always wanted a carbon Sabatier tho not much on full heel bolsters.Picked up a Santoku wt. olivewood handle.Sanded the handle rounded the edges & took it to 600 grit sandpaper.Now the handle is more comfortable & the higher grit sand brings out the beauty of the olivewood.

I was wondering Best Things carries the old steel Sabatier hidden tang pre war Nogent's.Has anyone used this steel.I have a over 100 yr. old thin carbon carving knife the steel in it is excellent.

I have owned two Nogents, so I'll tell you from my experience. The chef knife does have a nasty little bolster/finger guard, but it's not as visually obnoxious as the modern day ones we see. It will need to be filed down to the same angle as the primary bevel, in order to sharpen it properly/like a j-knife. Even then, you'll have to make sure it is wearing at the same rate as the bevel, etc, or you could get some funky stuff going on.

As for the steel: it's fine. Haha. It is reactive, patinates to a dark grey/black, and seems to have a habit of coming off on acidic items. Mine never fully set, so this might not hold true for all of them. The steel does get nice and sharp, however, and there is something nice about them, in general.

You might be surprised how large they are as well. My 10" chef, which is now with Mike Davis, I believe, was huge compared to what I was expecting.

They're really cool blades, but those are the "truths", as
    I see them.

Oh, I really love the parer.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Love my Nogent!

-AJ

I love my nogents...have 10" chef's, 10" slicer, and 6" slicer. Mine all took a while to get past the 'stink' phase, but now seem completely neutral. My small slicer is the knife I use in hand for just about everything including citrus and it is almost black--but the patina doesn't come off on anything. Chef's knife has beautiful blue/purple patina. Agree with Lefty as to the bolster, it is a pain and requires extra work every few sharpenings. Overall, great steel and lot's of fun.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

I picked up a 10" elephant with matching steel in the same olivewood. Really liking them lots. The carbon is super responsive to steeling. The profile is as good as it gets. The taper to the tip is great as well. The best thing is the price....super cheap!
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I like the geometry of my carbon Santoku,less rocker,the steel has some nice blues in the patina.I wanted the elephant only thing it has the oval scoops on the side for nonstick.It's a good cutter,touch it up on 5K rika.Since it's a home knife I do not think I will sharpen it enough to reach the ovals.

It's cool that some of you have the Nogents,I would think that those non slab handles & limited supply would give those blades some collective value in the yrs. to come

I remember opening mine and looking at the handle thinking it was the ugliest, tiniest, chintziest, most uncomfortable looking handle I have ever seen. After using it though, hands down it is the most comfortable knife handle I have.

-AJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    I remember opening mine and looking at the handle thinking it was the ugliest, tiniest, chintziest, most uncomfortable looking handle I have ever seen. After using it though, hands down it is the most comfortable knife handle I have.

-AJ
    +1 and I still don't know why that is...
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

I have a full set of Nogents (10" Chef, 10" Slicer, 6" Slicer and 3" Parer).

They are my favourite knives and I will never get rid of them. These are the classical french knives.

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post

-AJ
    Interesting how perception is so variable. I think they are extremely stylish--like a 1961 e-type.

FWIW, my better half is an industrial designer and she thinks, from an aesthetic point of view, that the Nogents are "perfect." She likes using them too--

Of course many complain about the "finger guard" but I never found it to be an issue either in practice or when sharpening. Yes, you do need to spend a little more time at the heel, but this does not equate to more than an extra 5 minutes---and that's for serious sharpening jobs.

BTW, I have a periodical called "The Art of Eating" with a small 1-page article on the TI nogents in it. The wood used for the handles are actually real ebony (not painted) and they are extremely dense. The article has an interview with the owner of TI talking about the nogents (relative to their standard production line).