To provide some context on why I need to create a menu, my mother is very ill and needs to focus on eating a healthy diet. Long story short, she has stage 3 chronic kidney disease, borderline diabetic, and has heart disease. She has many other illnesses, both physical and mental. She’s not a good cook, (doesn’t have the mental faculties honestly), and often will eat boloney sandwiches for a week at a time. And by a sandwich I mean maybe 1 slice of meat and tomato between white bread with some mayo, that’s it. She does like to eat a variety of food, but she is on social security/disability and as such has a very limited budget. About once a week I take her out to eat somewhere or make a nice meal for her on Sunday’s to make sure she’s getting something decent to eat. However now I want to start preparing all of her meals to ensure she is eating healthy.
The specifics I need help with are:
- Keeping down costs – budget is going to be about 150$ a month as that’s what she has in food stamps
- Making sure that the food tastes good after being re-heated
- Meals have to be healthy, goal is kidney and diabetic friendly
- Best way to execute the cooking – need to be as efficient as possible
- Making sure I have enough variety so she’s not bored eating the same thing
Any tips or suggestions are welcomed and greatly appreciated. However I really am looking to partner with a person or two on this forum on this issue. I would like to work with someone on an on-going basis to continue improving my culinary skills and menu planning. I’m willing to pay someone for lessons over skype, E-mail, etc. If this goes well, my end goal is preparing all of the meals for my mother, wife, and I.