Quantcast
WIP Redux - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WIP Redux

That molder sounds like a dream machine.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Great to finally get the pics.
    Looks great David, I've still got to get up there and visit one day. I'm slack for not doing it yet.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Man, that was a great read!!!

Thanks greatly for taking the time to share this aspect of your work with the forum. Seeing the process accentuates the appreciation of the end result that much more. Thanks Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by The BoardSMITH View Post
    Attachment 9946

I just finished this big walnut board. 18 x 49 destined today for a customer in CA. This is after sanding and before final sanding and oiling. The colors are drab with no highlights. The oil bath takes care of that.
    That is beautiful! Any pictures of the final finished product with oil?
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by The BoardSMITH View Post
    Attachment 9946

I just finished this big walnut board. 18 x 49 destined today for a customer in CA. This is after sanding and before final sanding and oiling. The colors are drab with no highlights. The oil bath takes care of that.
    i haf to see this one with oil looks like its going to be a great board.

Great stuff, many thanks for posting. I'd love to see how you handle flattening and finishing the final end grain board, since there's been discussion about the dangers of running end grain stock through a planer. Also, could you burn a lot of that 4 yards of dumpster waste for heat?

Still Plays With Blocks
    Home Furnishings Capital of the World, High Point, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by pkb View Post
    Great stuff, many thanks for posting. I'd love to see how you handle flattening and finishing the final end grain board, since there's been discussion about the dangers of running end grain stock through a planer. Also, could you burn a lot of that 4 yards of dumpster waste for heat?
    Flattening is accomplished with a 42" wide belt sander I rent time on. The shop owner gives me a great deal and I can go there almost anytime to run a batch through. Last Friday I had 21, on Wed of this coming week I will have another 29 or so. They come out dead flat and have been sanded down to 120 grit which is pretty good but I still have a lot left to do in the shop before oiling. Maybe I can take a photo or two of the wide belt in use and some before and after photos.

The 18 x 49 that went to CA was a pretty board. I do have a photo or two and will have to search them out to post later this afternoon.

The dumpster does get quite full in two weeks. I wish I could use the scraps for heat but my insurance carrier would probably freak out at the sight of a wood stove in the shop. It was bad enough when during their inspection this year they found a 40 pound propane tank attached to a burner for a turkey frier. (I use that when I make Board Butter.) If I get civic minded I may post a sign at the street for free wood for heating and see if I can get some takers. The planer and jointer chips would be good for animal bedding but when I tried that no one seemed interested. The maple and cherry chips would be ideal for a smoker as well as the left over chunks. But, when I offered that for smokers, I receivied no interest.

Hey, David
    Do you ever consider turning your blemmed or returned cutting boards into shelving? The wide ones you could split in half. I know, I for one would buy one if I had a home of my own. A lot of guys here have custom kitchens and I bet they would make cool shelves or cut them into 4's and make trivets.lol
    Just thinking out loud here.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Find a mushroom farmer and offer the wood chips to him, or have a local garden supply or landscaper pick it up for mulch.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

+ Reply to Thread