Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating Out During Our Annual Japan Trip

we usually go crazy with chocolate melon bread from convenience stores (and plantan in Sakai), but this year, since a lot of people will be "watching", we'll refrain from eating too much of melon bread....

Staying up all night with my family during the kamataki (firing of the wood kiln) is hard though... watching the kiln and trying to be awake means eating a lot of junk food....

i already have some restaurants in my mind.... 4 more nights to go!

Beautiful Miss sarah, I say this with the upmost sincerity; life is short, pain is long, and grab the melon bread while you can.

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!!
    A barbeque believer will not profane pork by boiling, liquid-smoking, submeging in sous-vide, or affirm with those who do.

No execution oders passing by, so ya looking good

sorry for not updating more often... here are some more photos - i took them with my cellphone, so forgive me for the poor quality !

one of my favorite convenience stores - looking really fancy and actually do amazing job:

Yesterday was our traveling day, so we grabbed some bread in the morning:

Of course we "had to" eat lunch box from a train:

much more awesomer
    Which hotel were you at in Tokyo? We were enjoying our ginbura in the heart of Ginza Thursday through early Sunday before coming back home. We picked up morning baked goods from a fantastic bakery stand in Ginza-Itchome Metro station and we stopped in at Kimuraya around the corner, too! But we started out short stay with 6:00 am breakfast omakase at Daiwazushi in Tsukiji.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    Which hotel were you at in Tokyo? We were enjoying our ginbura in the heart of Ginza Thursday through early Sunday before coming back home. We picked up morning baked goods from a fantastic bakery stand in Ginza-Itchome Metro station and we stopped in at Kimuraya around the corner, too! But we started out short stay with 6:00 am breakfast omakase at Daiwazushi in Tsukiji.
    Hey, SameGuy - ahh, finally the Tokyo trip you were looking forward to. If Sara/Jon are posting photos (albeit of 'meron bread' ahem ) then you should be sure to as well, especially any blade-related. D'accord? You do it and in a month when I'll probably be in Kansai again, I will try too.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    we were near shinawaga... very convenient for the yamanote line
    Ah, Jon, I think you mean 'Shinagawa' - unless they've invented an entirely new name and place!

much more awesomer
    I think all areas of Tokyo are conveniently served by the trains... Imagine what it would be like in LA (or here in Montreal, or Toronto) with a vast and efficient train/subway system covering the entire metro area the way it does in Tokyo.

Cutty, I'm already home. Too short, I know. But we had great seats at the Big Egg to see Chono and Abe's heroics as the Giants clinched the Central Division title on Friday night, and then we made our way to the Ryōgoku Kogukikan and saw Ozeki Harumafuji and Yokozuna Hakuho each take victories on Saturday afternoon, setting the stage for their epic Sunday showdown. It was outstanding entertainment, and a privilege to watch two artists of the ring in action on the penultimate day of the Autumn Bashō. All in all, along with the fresh sushi to start it, it was a fantastic weekend trip!
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

much more awesomer
    PS: every time I came across any of the throngs of K-tourists, I subversively mumbled, "오-오-오-오-오-오-오빠 강남 style!" to see if I could get a reaction. About three quarters smiled or even laughed out loud.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    PS: every time I came across any of the throngs of K-tourists, I subversively mumbled, "오-오-오-오-오-오-오빠 강남 style!" to see if I could get a reaction. About three quarters smiled or even laughed out loud.
    Hehe good one! I even get the small kids to do the horse dance in class here. They don't think that's at all unusual.

By the way, just in case you hadn't realised, much better to shout out '오빠 강남 style!!!' to Korean tourists than 'Heeeeeyyyyyyyy, Sexy Ladeeee!!' Though to be perfectly honest, I haven't tried that either. Maybe will if '오빠 강남 style' works.

Okay... we await your Tokyo photos, perhaps on a separate thread. Still amazed you'd fly there for a 'weekend trip' but I guess I would too.