Japanese Knives Eating Out During Our Annual Japan Trip

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara@JKI

Reaction score
I'm committed to update every meal we have in Japan.... I'm posting this resolution because I need some morale boost to stick with this because usually we run out of time to do anything including updating our blogs etc.

There is always some "madness" right before our Japan trip - preparation for the trip is CRAZY....

img9414v.jpg

Oh yum! This is going to be good! Don't fail us!!

Please do post! I love Japanese food! Even when I can only look at it.

oh yes, we have a smart phone in Japan this time.... I will make sure I'll take a lot of photos.

Still, I need moral support otherwise I would get lazy really quick...

Will be interesting to see.

Also, when you post can you tell us where the meal was? I don't mean the resto's name, unless that's important, but maybe the city & prefecture. Would just be interesting to know where the knife trail takes you. Plus, I've already been preparing my huge JKI Japan Expedition 2012' map which I'll put on my wall and continuously update with your news, placing little flags around each destination. :razz:

I expect you and Jon to gain at least 5 kgs. How about before and after pictures? You two can compete to see who can gain the most.

i think i have to take it easy with the food this year... loose 5kg, not gain. Its tough though because the food is so freaking good everywhere.

i think i have to take it easy with the food this year... loose 5kg, not gain. Its tough though because the food is so freaking good everywhere.

Yeah right - good luck! :spiteful:

And you'll certainly be invited to drink a lot over there too.

Even with the quality on hand, there are at least worse countries with heavier food that would be more a worry for your waistline. I'd say walk a lot during your trip and enjoy the food.

we usually go crazy with chocolate melon bread from convenience stores (and plantan in Sakai), but this year, since a lot of people will be "watching", we'll refrain from eating too much of melon bread....

Staying up all night with my family during the kamataki (firing of the wood kiln) is hard though... watching the kiln and trying to be awake means eating a lot of junk food....

i already have some restaurants in my mind.... 4 more nights to go!

First thing I wanted last time was a bowl of good ramen. Next, visit to an izakaya. Thoughts of chocolate melon bread would never enter into the equation.

Another suggestion: live streaming trip-cam

I will be watching for all the great dishes you post :) I really love pics with that "home meal" touch. Not that the elaborate plattings are cool to see and all, it's just all one sees nowdays and I'm drawn to simpler presentations these days :)

yes, I also love "home meal" type of dishes too :) When traveling over few weeks, eating out can be also exhausting, so easy going, simple meals are always appreciated... Just 2 more nights of sleep, and we'll be departing!

Day 1: Arriving in Tokyo

okay, this sounds really lame, but i was literally too tired to eat :( Jon of course picked up an obento - it looked really great! We got it from the basement of a nearby mall. In "デパ地下(depa chika)", or the Japanese abbreviation for a basement of department mall, you can find a lot of small obento (or take out meal) shops.... Jon could have spent 3 hours, but I'm proud that I drag him out of there within 30 minutes!

Here's Jon's obento for dinner/late night snack.
photokvk.jpg

Anyway, I just wanted you guys to know we are here in Japan :)

photo2jo.jpg

sara and i forgot to take pictures of our breakfast today, but god damn bread here is good. Cheese bread, ham and cheese bread, ham cheese and onion bread...

I'll take pictures next time.

Anyways, one day in tokyo to get situated and then the real work starts

Bread huh :p didn't you say you where going to avoid to much bread this time :p LOL

we usually go crazy with chocolate melon bread from convenience stores (and plantan in Sakai), but this year, since a lot of people will be "watching", we'll refrain from eating too much of melon bread....

Staying up all night with my family during the kamataki (firing of the wood kiln) is hard though... watching the kiln and trying to be awake means eating a lot of junk food....

i already have some restaurants in my mind.... 4 more nights to go!

Beautiful Miss sarah, I say this with the upmost sincerity; life is short, pain is long, and grab the melon bread while you can.

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

sorry for not updating more often... here are some more photos - i took them with my cellphone, so forgive me for the poor quality :( !

one of my favorite convenience stores - looking really fancy and actually do amazing job:
20120922152510.jpg

Yesterday was our traveling day, so we grabbed some bread in the morning:
20120923093133.jpg

20120923093354.jpg

Of course we "had to" eat lunch box from a train:
20120923123534.jpg

Which hotel were you at in Tokyo? We were enjoying our ginbura in the heart of Ginza Thursday through early Sunday before coming back home. We picked up morning baked goods from a fantastic bakery stand in Ginza-Itchome Metro station and we stopped in at Kimuraya around the corner, too! But we started out short stay with 6:00 am breakfast omakase at Daiwazushi in Tsukiji. :)

Which hotel were you at in Tokyo? We were enjoying our ginbura in the heart of Ginza Thursday through early Sunday before coming back home. We picked up morning baked goods from a fantastic bakery stand in Ginza-Itchome Metro station and we stopped in at Kimuraya around the corner, too! But we started out short stay with 6:00 am breakfast omakase at Daiwazushi in Tsukiji. :)

Hey, SameGuy - ahh, finally the Tokyo trip you were looking forward to. If Sara/Jon are posting photos (albeit of 'meron bread' ahem :tongue:) then you should be sure to as well, especially any blade-related. D'accord? You do it and in a month when I'll probably be in Kansai again, I will try too.

we were near shinawaga... very convenient for the yamanote line

Ah, Jon, I think you mean 'Shinagawa' - unless they've invented an entirely new name and place! :scratchhead:

I think all areas of Tokyo are conveniently served by the trains... Imagine what it would be like in LA (or here in Montreal, or Toronto) with a vast and efficient train/subway system covering the entire metro area the way it does in Tokyo.

Cutty, I'm already home. Too short, I know. But we had great seats at the Big Egg to see Chono and Abe's heroics as the Giants clinched the Central Division title on Friday night, and then we made our way to the Ryōgoku Kogukikan and saw Ozeki Harumafuji and Yokozuna Hakuho each take victories on Saturday afternoon, setting the stage for their epic Sunday showdown. It was outstanding entertainment, and a privilege to watch two artists of the ring in action on the penultimate day of the Autumn Bashō. All in all, along with the fresh sushi to start it, it was a fantastic weekend trip!

PS: every time I came across any of the throngs of K-tourists, I subversively mumbled, "오-오-오-오-오-오-오빠 강남 style!" to see if I could get a reaction. About three quarters smiled or even laughed out loud. :D

PS: every time I came across any of the throngs of K-tourists, I subversively mumbled, "오-오-오-오-오-오-오빠 강남 style!" to see if I could get a reaction. About three quarters smiled or even laughed out loud. :D

Hehe good one! I even get the small kids to do the horse dance in class here. They don't think that's at all unusual.

By the way, just in case you hadn't realised, much better to shout out '오빠 강남 style!!!' to Korean tourists than 'Heeeeeyyyyyyyy, Sexy Ladeeee!!' Though to be perfectly honest, I haven't tried that either. Maybe will if '오빠 강남 style' works.

Okay... we await your Tokyo photos, perhaps on a separate thread. Still amazed you'd fly there for a 'weekend trip' but I guess I would too.

Back