Quantcast
What stone line up are you using these days? - Page 14
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: What stone line up are you using these days?

Quote Originally Posted by schanop View Post
    Maxim has two 3k stones. The big red one is soft and muddy, the blue/white one is harder, probably a lot harder.
    The blue/white one was the one I was referring to earlier. I should have clarified this in my earlier post. So that JNS Aoto might still be in the picture then. The red JNS Aoto is out of the picture.

The JNS Aoto (blue/white) is quite hard. Pretty similar (in hardness) to Gesshin 5000 IIRC.

The progression will depend on the knife and the final edge requirements but my favorite would be:
    Naniwa Chosera 800
    Gesshin 2000
    Naniwa SS 5K
    and/or
    Beston 8000

you could be the first one to try and report back on this one!
    http://fine-tools.com/juuma-stones.html

if i was in need of a synthetic 2k id get one myself.

Sounds interesting panda, but im not much of a pioneer when it comes to this stuff. Ill wait for a review first

Hi I'm new forgive me.

I am experimenting with German "sandpaper" Starcke with grits 1000, 1500, 2000, and 5000.

I have mounted then on cork floor tiles and work on a ceramic tile. Please tell me this is not the worse thing I could do.

Quote Originally Posted by divsec View Post
    I am experimenting with German "sandpaper" Starcke with grits 1000, 1500, 2000, and 5000.
    I have mounted then on cork floor tiles and work on a ceramic tile. Please tell me this is not the worse thing I could do.
    If you end up with sharp knife then why not?
    Whetstones aren't the only way to sharpen knives (though… probably one of the most popular on KKF)

Quote Originally Posted by erikz View Post
    Sounds interesting panda, but im not much of a pioneer when it comes to this stuff. Ill wait for a review first
    just send me a pm if you wanna try a chosera 3k (but it isn't a 2k )

Thanks for the offer Riba!

Yesterday I used DMT coarse, ikarashi, red aoto, and takashima up to various levels on a few knives.
    It was my first time incorporating the dmt and the ikarashi into the lineup. The DMT to the ikarashi was fine on the smaller beveled knives, and put a great toothy edge on my EDC, but cleaning up the DMT scratches on wide and single bevels took a long time. I really liked the pattern and contrast on the ikarashi so I need to find a stone to go between or that leaves a less aggressive pattern than the dmt. Splash and go would be nice, I really enjoyed the no soaking aspect of yesterday. JNS 300? Gesshin 600? Chosera? Opinions welcome!