Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: What stone line up are you using these days?

D, I'm trying a couple stones to have as a portable lineup, spash and go, shake and dry. My first S&G is a JNS 300. Damn I like it, even head to head with soakers I prefer the feel, feedback of the JNS to the to that of the Bestor 500, it's about a wash with the G400. Shows some wear but not nearly what I expected. I've a full set of DMTs from my hunting knives, have used on German stainless but can't say I enjoyed any part of it.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Quote Originally Posted by Dardeau View Post
    Yesterday I used DMT coarse, ikarashi, red aoto, and takashima up to various levels on a few knives.
    It was my first time incorporating the dmt and the ikarashi into the lineup. The DMT to the ikarashi was fine on the smaller beveled knives, and put a great toothy edge on my EDC, but cleaning up the DMT scratches on wide and single bevels took a long time. I really liked the pattern and contrast on the ikarashi so I need to find a stone to go between or that leaves a less aggressive pattern than the dmt. Splash and go would be nice, I really enjoyed the no soaking aspect of yesterday. JNS 300? Gesshin 600? Chosera? Opinions welcome!
    do you not already have a gesshin 400? gesshin 400 and one other "secret" low grit stone are my fave starting stones, gess 600 is really good too. chosera 400 the best feedback ever but will cut alittle slower than both gesh 400 and 600. pm me if you want to loan something.

Yesterday I used DMT coarse, ikarashi, red aoto, and takashima up to various levels on a few knives.
    It was my first time incorporating the dmt and the ikarashi into the lineup. The DMT to the ikarashi was fine on the smaller beveled knives, and put a great toothy edge on my EDC, but cleaning up the DMT scratches on wide and single bevels took a long time. I really liked the pattern and contrast on the ikarashi so I need to find a stone to go between or that leaves a less aggressive pattern than the dmt. Splash and go would be nice, I really enjoyed the no soaking aspect of yesterday. JNS 300? Gesshin 600? Chosera? Opinions welcome!
    A Beston 500 permasoaked works very well and quickly removes diamond plate scratches. I use it as progression from my Atoma 140.

dardeau - i used a gessh 600 to ikarashi for a bit, good fast stone. i've since switched to a fancy 600 that feels much nicer, but not nearly as fast and is a soaker. i only use the gessh on stainless now at work. i've tried a jns 300, it was good but didn't feel it was worth its price. chosera 400 is the best feeling low grit, but it's rather slow.

Hi i use

Shapton glass 500 (if nessecary)
    Shapton pro 1000
    Blue Aoto
    Yaginoshima/Oohira/Hideriyama/Takashima/Shinden Sunita mid grit jnat (depending on mood/steel)
    Hakka Namito/Fakeyama (japan@home)/Nakayama/Shobu as finisher (if needed/wanted)..

Greets Benjamin

I actually have the gesshin soaking now to give it a go. I know that it will work great, but it does take some time, and it dishes pretty badly. The splash and go makes it so much easier to come home and bang out a knife after work.

I actually have the gesshin soaking now to give it a go. I know that it will work great, but it does take some time, and it dishes pretty badly. The splash and go makes it so much easier to come home and bang out a knife after work.
    just curious, which gesshin are you talking about? i dont really think any of the lower grit gesshin stones really dish fast. my gesh 4k dishes pretty quick, but its worth it because the edge is so awesome coming off that stone.

The 400 that I have feels like it dishes pretty quickly to me, about on par with a Beston. Maybe if I'm not using it to remove significant metal, but just to remove DMT scratches, it won't seem to dish as much.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    just curious, which gesshin are you talking about? i dont really think any of the lower grit gesshin stones really dish fast. my gesh 4k dishes pretty quick, but its worth it because the edge is so awesome coming off that stone.
    Gesshin 220 dishes rather quickly for example. Too quickly for my liking. It is still a good stone though.

Ok here is a question...What are some people opinions and thoughts on synthetic lower grit stones...I am a natural guy but there is not much below 1000 of my liking...so what is your favorite stone that is >1000 grit?