Quantcast
What stone line up are you using these days? - Page 3
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What stone line up are you using these days?

single:
    beston 500
    bester 1200
    rika 5k

double:
    beston 500
    blue aoto 2k
    arashiyama 6k

yanagi:
    bester 1200
    blue aoto 2k
    arashiyama 6k
    kitayama 8k

i have a leather strop and a CrO2 loaded felt strop that i have stopped using via jons advice. i figured i would give it a try and found that putting the right microbevel is much more effective in a professional kitchen setting. if i were to shave with my kitchen knife (which i have done with success) i would strop but i find that edge retention is more important than overall sharpness for the first 15 minutes. i do keep the leather strop at work and because it has the magnet on the back i can put it on the work table and strop if i need to. because i dont believe in metal honing steels, this is a great alternative now that my wife has taken my ceramic mac honing rod to work with her.

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    I may be the first one to get banned from here for saying this, but I really don't like sharpening. Some of my knives look pretty but the edges are in pitiful shape. But since I am pretty much done with spending my time looking at knives I need to have - did I mention that I am done buying knives? - I have high intentions to dedicate more time to this. Still a bit grudgingly, buy maybe the appetite comes with eating. As for my stones, I will have whatever Dave sends me in the next box - I keep forgetting, but I trust him - plus a few Shapton glass stones, a Kitayama that has still not been used at least 3 years after buying it, and a set of strops. Well, those I do use to some extent. The easiest at this point would be to just fly Dave and his stones in and go through my blocks for a few days. Gotta buy a lottery ticket this week...

Stefan
    Haha. I am the exact opposite To me sharpening is some kind of a meditation act. Whenever my work in the Norwegian Armed Forces frustrates me and gets my shorts all twisted (almost on a daily basis), I pull out a couple of my stones and a knife or two when I get home and sharpen for half an hour or more, depending on the tightness of the "twist". I go straight in to some kind of a zen-like state and come out a better man and with insanely sharp knives I need to buy a couple of inexpensive knives pretty soon so I don't wear down my good ones prematurely.

DarkHoek

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhoek View Post
    Haha. I am the exact opposite To me sharpening is some kind of a meditation act. Whenever my work in the Norwegian Armed Forces frustrates me and gets my shorts all twisted (almost on a daily basis), I pull out a couple of my stones and a knife or two when I get home and sharpen for half an hour or more, depending on the tightness of the "twist". I go straight in to some kind of a zen-like state and come out a better man and with insanely sharp knives I need to buy a couple of inexpensive knives pretty soon so I don't wear down my good ones prematurely.

DarkHoek
    Now that's something i can relate to!

My stones are
    Dmt xxc (use for flatening only)
    bester 500
    bester 1200
    arashma 6000
    naniwa 10000 superstone

plus leather strops

Right now I'm using the Beston 500 for rough jobs (flattening, etc). I set bevels with King 1000 and finish with King 6000, then Dave's strop kit (diamond on leather). Oh, and I use felt strop/block between each stone. I like the edges I get a lot from this lineup, but not the polish itself, which probably has just as much to do with my techniques as it does with the stones. Still, I am considering adding a finer stone to the mix, something I hope I can work with to get a nicer looking finish and maybe as a "stone dust" polish for the sides of the knife. I've thought about the Kitayama 8000, but I've read this stone is particularly finicky as regards to the previous stones in the lineup. The other possibility is the Takenoko. I'd like to get a good finishing stone without having to replace my King 1000/6000 stones, at least not right away. What would you guys who have used all these stones do?

DMT XXC
    DMT XC
    Shapton Pro 1K, 5K, 8K, and 12K
    Various strops

Works fine.
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

600 Chosera
    1k Chosera
    1k King

Amakusa red and white
    Aizu
    Hakka
    Nakayama Asagi
    Shobudani Tomae
    Oohira Suita
    Oozuku Tomae

I always enjoy seeing what combinations of stones people are using.

bester 1200
    rika 5k
    chromium oxide charged leather
    cork from a lost abbey beer bottle(judgement day) for deburr

i use progressively less and less pressure on the rika until i'm pretty much just using the knife's weight on the stone, then i'll give it a few strops on the rika before switching to the leather strop (picked up leather free from a fabric store, they were getting rid of sample swatches)
    I've used a friend's 10k and i get more of a polished edge, but i prefer the bite left from stropping after the rika. maybe i'm doing something wrong on the 10k? what i really like about this setup is that it travels easy.

Beston 500
    King 1000
    JKS Synthetic Aoto 2000-3000
    Kitayama 8000
    JKS 10000
    .25 micron diamond spray on leather
    Unloaded leather.