Quantcast
What stone line up are you using these days? - Page 6
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What stone line up are you using these days?

My current four-stone setup is:
    1. Sigma Power Select II #220
    2. Chocera #400
    3. Sigma Power Ceramic (soft type) #1000
    4. Sigma Power Jinzo (synthetic) Renge Suita #6000
    -- de-burr on felt or newspaper

I am currently going through a no-strop, no ultra-high-grit stone phase.

Beston 500,
    Bester 2k
    Arashiyama 6k
    De-burr on newspaper or cardboard

This is prolly gonna be my permanent setup. I'm from the minimalist camp

Quote Originally Posted by mattrud View Post
    @TK How do you like you gesshin compared to other stones you have used?
    Best coarse stone I've every tried is a Gesshin(?) 500 diamond plate that I lust after but I can't have because I'm still in knife acquisition mode. After that, I used the Beston for a long time until I tried the Gesshin 400. It just feels great, in my opinion. It grinds about the same rate as the Beston. The finish doesn't matter to me at that grit but it's a little nicer looking, maybe. I don't use a ton of pressure. The Gesshin 1k is a pretty much perfect stone. It isn't as fussy and soft (or slow) as a superstone (which I also really like and I don't find all that slow), has a great feel but isn't as fast as a Chosera for example. The newer 5k Gesshin is harder and less muddy than a Rika or SS but still has that nice feel to it and is a little slower than the Rika and quite a bit slower than the Chosera. I guess if I had a pile of pm steel blades to work, I might go with something faster but really, I don't try to completely remove my 1k scratches when I move up to the 5k. If I can go the 8k SS for a few passes and strop a few passes and pass the Salty touch test, I'm satisfied. I highly recommend these stones for kitchen knife edges. I can't wait to see what Jon brings in for an 8-12 k splash n go. I love SS but they gouge too easily unless you cheat and hit the edge only on the backstroke (ie stopping on stone).

Deburring: I'm pretty much burr free after the 5k. Any stragglers come off with stropping. Newspaper works fine but I have some nice strops and I like the result better.

I just wanna add that, imo, that fad/craze from about two years ago for removing all the scratches and attaining that perfect mirror polish was a dead-end. At one point, the recommended progression included Arashiyama 6K>>Kitayama 8K>>Naniwa SS 10K: nuts to that.

Those mirror bevels are pretty and sexy and all but, for practical purposes, I tend to agree with the current thinking that a good #5 or 6K makes the ideal finishing stone.

I thought the Arashiyama and Kitayama are the same stone? But anyways, I can get a nice mirror polish out of my 6k

Quote Originally Posted by MadMel View Post
    I thought the Arashiyama and Kitayama are the same stone? But anyways, I can get a nice mirror polish out of my 6k
    It's alleged that the Arashiyama and the Takenoko are one and the same.

I'm pretty simple with my setup.

DMT XXC (For Flattening)
    Shapton Pro 1k
    Shapton Pro 2k
    Shapton Pro 5k

A quick question in between: I've just started learning how to sharpen things, but I don't think I'm getting the best out of a Naniwa SS 3000/10000 stone. Is it just me or is the mud non existant / is there a trick to it? Another thing: how do you use a chosera 1000 (+the nagura stone) with it optimally?

500 Beston if needed
    One of either the King Hyper 1k or the Bester 1,200
    Suehiro Rika
    Naniwa 10k Superstone
    Felt from Dave for deburring

Quote Originally Posted by Booink View Post
    A quick question in between: I've just started learning how to sharpen things, but I don't think I'm getting the best out of a Naniwa SS 3000/10000 stone. Is it just me or is the mud non existant / is there a trick to it? Another thing: how do you use a chosera 1000 (+the nagura stone) with it optimally?
    To get the best of Naniwa dont use any pressure at all. Its more of a polishing stone and 10k will leave you a edge feeling like Thai Airways[silky smooth].
    Some steels will block the stone up so use that nagura when you feel the knife is sliding on the stone and doesnt leave grey trail behind.

My setup contains now
    Tempered 5mm glass sheet and wetpapers for flattening
    Noname 240
    Bester 700
    King 1200
    Suehiro 6k
    Naniwa SS 3k
    Naniwa SS 8k

Deburr with wooden spoon bought at Ikea
    Stropping with super-ultra-extreme-8mm felt loaded with chromium oxide.
    Then back on suehiro and strop on newspaper.