Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Balsa Strop, need your input

New Balsa Strop, need your input

Alright folks,

I picked up a beautiful 4x4x12 inch block of balsa wood. I intend to do a 4 sided strop and I am looking for any compounds that you would recommend. One side for sure will be chromium oxide, but I am unsure as to what I should use on the other sides. What do the experts have to say?

Thanks,

Pete
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Pete I used HA boron Carbide works amazing on the harder stainless steels. Just one light stroke on either side coming off a dry takenono 6K strop bring sharp edges sticky again.

Does anybody know what the difference between boron carbide and chromium oxide as it relates to knife sharpening?
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Are you going to add leather or use the balsa itself?

Quote Originally Posted by daskooka View Post
    Are you going to add leather or use the balsa itself?
    Balsa by itself, I currently have a leather and felt strop, I wanted to try balsa as a medium for many different compounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Pete I used HA boron Carbide works amazing on the harder stainless steels. Just one light stroke on either side coming off a dry takenono 6K strop bring sharp edges sticky again.

Does anybody know what the difference between boron carbide and chromium oxide as it relates to knife sharpening?
    Chromium oxide is a little softer than boron carbide. I have both. I tend to use boron carbide more especially on harder steels, but I'd be lying if I said I could feel a big difference on most knives. Maybe a better sharpener...

Thanks for the FB Mike!

IIRC Cr2O3 has a round structure leaving a smooth finish, not the bitiest edge. Size is something like .5 micron. I use it with soft carbons.
    You may consider the use of Cr2O3 as acrylic artist's paint, olive green, water soluble, unexpensive.

Thanks guys, I ordered .5 Chromium Oxide as well as some Boron Carbide spray to go along with my diamond spray.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Thanks for the FB Mike!
    you want to try some side by side?

Thanks for the offer my friend. I've got enough stropping compounds and materials. I'm trying to nail down a consistent process and stropping on a high grit dry stone followed by felt/leather or balsa has been working well.