Quantcast
What stone line up are you using these days? - Page 12
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What stone line up are you using these days?

Why would one need to dry the stone in order to transport it? Isn't that what ziplok bags are for?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I am having problems maintaining the same finish on the Kireha on several of my knives both Shapton Glass & Choseras seem to leave a more polished or brushed look rather than the sort of matt look they originally had ; I have tried using a Chosera 600 but the look is not what I want . What is the best brand of stone for this effect?
    I have a Yanagi , a Deba and a couple of Takedas and I can get them very sharp with the right amount of toothy - ness .
    Would King , Bester Rika or Gesshin be the best for giving this sort of smoky matt effect and what grit should it be ?
    I am thinking that 1000 grit is the right grit to use.

I use a few different progressions really.

It is either:
    JNS 400
    400 Suehiro Gokumyo Debado
    2K Suehiro Gokumyo Debado
    6K Suehiro Gokumyo Debado
    13K Sigma Select II

Or:
    A full Shapton pro progression

Or:
    Some form of Natural progression, say a Red Aoto, Hakka Renge and a Nakayama Kiita.

Or any combo that tickles my fancy.
    I love honing!
    Be it straights, folders or fixed blades

right now i really like gesshin 400 to gesshin 4k for gyutos.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Barr View Post
    I am having problems maintaining the same finish on the Kireha on several of my knives both Shapton Glass & Choseras seem to leave a more polished or brushed look rather than the sort of matt look they originally had ; I have tried using a Chosera 600 but the look is not what I want . What is the best brand of stone for this effect?
    I have a Yanagi , a Deba and a couple of Takedas and I can get them very sharp with the right amount of toothy - ness .
    Would King , Bester Rika or Gesshin be the best for giving this sort of smoky matt effect and what grit should it be ?
    Every sharpener has their own technique, to create a kasumi finish, while they will share general information, the specifics are usually kept confidential. Dave a vendor on this site, uses the King 800 as a starting point. Jon with Japanese Knife Imports, or Maxim with Japanese Natural Stones, will recommend stones from their line ups, and provide tips on how to achieve a kasumi finish.

Jay
    I'm a over-sized, under-educated, two onions a month, cutting fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Barr View Post
    Get a King 800, as Dave Martell recommends.

It will leave a matte finish on the blade road with good contrast between the hagane and jigane that is probably what you are looking for.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

I hope Theory doesnt mind me posting this.

Pretty sweet little video on single bevel sharpening, touches on "kasumi" finishes. His stone progression, or softer/muddier stones in general, lend(s) well to this type of finish.

Mowgs

Ah geez I just got sucked into watching my own vid. lol I just hope the pro sharpeners, Dave Jon etc approve the techniques employed therein.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Thank you Pensacola Tiger this was one of the makes I was considering is this a stone that can be perma-soaked as well?

Sharpen a lot of Stainless for others. Thinning & minor repair Atoma plates. Use a Gesshin 1K extra large that I keep at the school for most sharpening lessons. Wearing out my smaller stones doing that 2K gesshin, 1200 Bester so now using larger stone.

My carbons mostly 2K Shapton Pro spash & go for touchups. 4K Gesshin, newspaper, leather

Single Bevels 8K Gesshin or Kitayama

Muddy stones for Kasumi mist