Quantcast
What is the most important blade characteristic?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the most important blade characteristic?

What is the most important blade characteristic?

With all of the high level knives out there, it got me thinking...
    What is the most important characteristic for me (in a gyuto/petty/Suji)?
    For me, I'd have to say it's a toss up between profile and a nice taper from spine to cutting edge.
    If a knife has too much or not enough belly, I suddenly lose my ability to fully cut through an item. I leave the pieces together at the point closest to me, on the board. It's a pretty decoration, but doesn't do anything positive in my food.
    If a knife is too thick behind the edge, I just don't enjoy cutting with it. It gets stuck, feels clumsy and worst of all, turns a razor into an axe.
    Another very key component for me would have to be durability. I hate having to baby a knife, when I know my Henckels chef knife can plow through a squash and squash though clove after clove of garlic and make paste on my board, when needed.
    Durable and thin behind the edge with a perfect amount of belly. Sounds great to me!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

geometry, if it is not proper everything else does not matter IMHO.

Here's my list in order of importance...

1. Geometry

2. Profile

3. Heat Treat

4. Steel

5. Handle

I pretty much have the same list as Dave but I think within those factor they are subjective to each person. A lot of people prefer different geometry to one another.

1. Geomentry
    2. Profile
    3. Steel - no fan of patina
    4. Balance
    5. HT

I think you guys are putting the handle a little low on the list.

It makes sense that we all agree that geometry (taper) is arguably the most important characteristic in a knife, and so far not a single person has said hardness or steel.
    While the sales reps and newbies worry about hrc or vg10/sg-2, etc we have all figured out that we would rather have to sharpen a knife more often, as long as it makes cuts that make us go "daaammmn!" than have a knife made out of ZDP-189 and hardened to 64 with a fatness behind the edge.
    That does make me wonder, however, why the fabled aritsugu type a is such a legend. Upon purchasing, it is reported you have to blow through a 220 stone just to get it thin enough to be enjoyable to use. Of course, once you have it where you want it, the edge holding ability is supposedly phenomenal.
    So, realistically, you turn a knife with nice steel, a decent handle and incredible durability into a knife with those characteristics, plus the most important of all, good geometry (to you). It's almost like getting a knife made for you, by you.
    09/06

I'd have to agree with everyone. It's also related to a subject I've been thinking alot about lately. When we say "geometry" essentially we're talking about the grind. The perfect balance of thickness, weight, taper, etc. It seems that a number of makers are capable of producing knives with good steel but what sets them apart is the grind/geometry and polish. You could add handles but I prefer function over beauty, although I recognize some people are into wood and Americans like their sizzle.

With that being said, the Japanese still set the standards on geometry and grind.

Quote Originally Posted by Larrin View Post
    I think you guys are putting the handle a little low on the list.
    I almost agree. If I'm getting a custom, then yes the handle is hugely important, because it is where we can best make it a true custom knife. We get to show our personality and have the exact knife we have been daydreaming about...plus, we're all a bit vain, aren't we?
    I realized today, while making a dinner that I often have such a light grip on my knife that the handle is almost unnecessary. You could attach a weight to the opposite end from the tip to balance the knife, and I would still be happy cutting with it. That of course is assuming the geometry and profile are to my liking.
    09/06

I like the word "architecture," vs geometry, as I think that's more inclusive. Shape, grind, balance, form follows function, and how that particular object (a knife in this case) occupies it's space.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

+ Reply to Thread