Quantcast
tips on polishing - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: tips on polishing

depends on what effect youre after.

If you want to get a nice haze and mirror underneath, you would have to use fingerstones after youve worked blade out with papers first.

I would start as low as 180 wetpaper grit, go 360, 600, 800, 1200, 2000 and then mix some stone mud or fingerstone and work it from there.

This is tricky part cause while paper on cork or rubber gives you uite uniform finish, the fingerstones are not. You will have a chance to see every imprefection in the grind and every scratch left from coarser grit.

+10 to respect though...

If you going to refinish a knife, you should consider thinning it above the edge. I can see bevels from the pictures. I would thin them so your edge is not thicker than .14mm. You will see improvement in cutting performance. However, if the RC on the knife is low, going that thin would probably not be a good idea. Leave a little more on the edge then.

M

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Has anyone tried 'diamond finger stones'? Found them on the site below and they look interesting, if expensive. They're measured in microns rather than grit.

http://www.nihonzashi.com/diy_supplies.aspx#Price_List

Also, thanks for that tip on the micro-mesh kit, wsfarrell. Is this what you use? http://www.woodcraft.com/product/200...nding-kit.aspx How long do you - or anyone - find that the micro-mesh paper lasts?

... Incidentally, I was checking into micron-grit measurements and it seems this is pretty difficult for use consumers to be sure about, that with grit also one manufacturer's grit number might mean something a little different than another's, and that there might be differences between how Japanese grits are measured vs others, and so on. Whew, I hadn't considered some of this before. It's a complex world out, I guess. Anyway, not sure how many people know this (if they care).

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    If you going to refinish a knife, you should consider thinning it above the edge. I can see bevels from the pictures. I would thin them so your edge is not thicker than .14mm. You will see improvement in cutting performance. However, if the RC on the knife is low, going that thin would probably not be a good idea. Leave a little more on the edge then.
    Thanks, Marko. RC with this one is fine I think. Bevels are not severe now but are slightly inconsistent, with a little over-sharpening at the heel and tip (hard to see in picts). I think you're right and I'll thin it out, sharpen and maybe microbevel after. Fun stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutty Sharp View Post
    Has anyone tried 'diamond finger stones'?
    In that size, they should be called fiststones or something

Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post
    In that size, they should be called fiststones or something
    Well, 2.5 x 5.0 cm more or less ... not so big, and 'fiststones' only if you've got a pretty small hand.

my fingerstones are 0.5x1cm or 1x1.5 i would say

Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post
    my fingerstones are 0.5x1cm or 1x1.5 i would say
    You're right I guess one of us should send a complaint message to the maker. He must have his porportions all out of whack!

just for laughing purposes Maksim you see this? damn huge "fingastones" hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Cutty Sharp View Post
    Has anyone tried 'diamond finger stones'? Found them on the site below and they look interesting, if expensive. They're measured in microns rather than grit.

http://www.nihonzashi.com/diy_supplies.aspx#Price_List

Also, thanks for that tip on the micro-mesh kit, wsfarrell. Is this what you use? http://www.woodcraft.com/product/200...nding-kit.aspx How long do you - or anyone - find that the micro-mesh paper lasts?
    I do have a Woodcraft kit like the one in the link. I also have the pads, like these, which go up to 12k as well. The pads seem to last a little longer than the paper, and they're great for other stuff like polishing handles.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/202...Anchor=Reviews

The diamond fingerstones look really interesting. They're large, but I don't see that there would be a problem cutting them into smaller pieces. I think I'll try a couple.

I'll say this about grit scales, Japanese grit numbers are about double American numbers. So the micro mesh pads I use go up to 12,000 American which is about 24,000 Japanese. That's pretty frigging mirrory.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

+ Reply to Thread