Quantcast
Custom Sujihiki Mosaic damascus. WIP - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Custom Sujihiki Mosaic damascus. WIP

Gosh I love your work. You and your son(I'm guessing that's who Randy Jr is) have this amazing knack for creating knives as elegant and decorative as possible without ever looking like a safequeen. They are the most beautiful users I've ever seen, and that's what I love about them!

I like damascus patterns that kinda "flow" with the blade. The one on the fighter/bowie? with the 6 mosaic pins is awesome! And the last one looks kinda similar to Devin's Feather pattern. Excellent work.

Hello and good day, We had a chance last night to get some progress on the billet. The next step is to grind off the scale. We clean the bar of scale at each step B4 rewelding it. This allows for a good clean weld. Then Its cut into 4 pieces and stacked and re welded twice. Now its drawn out into a long square billet...

A look at the pattern we developed by the first forging session..
    Spot welding the pieces together

Now the pieces are brought up to welding temp. and forge welded back together! 4 Into 1. As many times as I have see this. Im still in awe of this!

After its welded its slowly drawn it out again keeping it square..

Clean and cut, and then we do our first 4 way weld. Heres a look at the pattern so far.. These pieces are tac welded together in a square like the photo.

This is now ready to be welded. Its brought up to temp and quickly pressed on both sides.

Thats some Hot Stuff!

Now its re squared at a 45* like the first re square. pressing the corners till its squared the opposite direction. Some guys use squaring dies for this. We have a set. but for this pattern Jr dont use them.. After its Biased its drawn out again keeping it square.

Thats it for tonight, Its well after Midnight so we wrapped it up for the night. Were making good progress so far.

Mosaic damascus is labor intensive process. Its kind of repetitive as you are building the pattern and layers.. Yet, Its very rewarding.
    We often have a couple of billets running at the same time.. This allows for us to get the most out of the forge. Theres alot of down time between some of these steps, waiting for the billet to cool, so it can be cleaned and cut etc.etc.

I also wanted to take a chance and tell you a bit more about myself and Jr. Randy Jr. Is my 20 year old son. Last year he came to work at HHH Knives and has been steadily learning and growing in his skill and ability's.. He runs the HOT side of the shop and does the damascus forging. The photos I added of the damascus were all forged by Jr. Myself, My name is Randy Haas, I am the knife maker, I started making Knife kits 7 years ago. Over the years new and better tools were added to my shop. And I started making stock removal knives. Fast forward to now, Im truly blessed to be able to work as a full time knife maker, Its my passion. And Having Randy Jr working with me has been a dream come true.. Im a proud Papa!

God Bless
    Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Now the bar is ground to remove the scale and we etch the end to determine how we want to set up the next weld.

There tac welded and heated to welding temp.

The weld is set with quick taps on both sides.. Then the block is drawn out to 1 1/4 inch square by whatever it turn out to be. This is the last 4way weld and draw.. and the size has to be close so that when we tile weld and fore this out The width will be wide enough.

Keep the sparks Flyin!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Randy that is really cool WIP, thanks for sharing.

Thank you, I only hope the rest of this one goes as smooth as the first parts. At the rate Jr. is going, I had better get busy and do my paper draft for this knife.

Availible Knives

very cool!

Sweet damascus.
    -M

That is an awesome WIP, thank you for taking the time to take and post pics!

Amazing work!

+ Reply to Thread