Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Custom Sujihiki Mosaic damascus. WIP

Thanks, Randy Jr Here! Dad and I are having a good time doing this WIP, Iv been busy this last week but will be back in the shop soon and we will get some more pics posted of the process as soon as possible.

Randy Jr.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Hello everyone, Sry its been so long sense I posted on this forum.. We have made good progress on the knife.. Although there were some slight set backs and we actually had to forged this billet 3 times.. But thats the nature of damascus. 1st one we made a miscalculation and it was too small and wouldnt work for this knife, Second one had a bad weld and was not used. They say the third times a charm, and it seemed to be for us on this one! So heres some more of the steps and some pics. enjoy.

Next is to get the billet cleaned up and free of scale.

Them I accordion cut the billet with the Band saw. This process allows you to take the pattern thats on the end of the billet, and make it on the surface where it can be seen.

I round off the corners and clean up on the grinder.

Thin its back into the forge and we open it slowly, starting on the anvil with a hammer then continue with the press.

Now that its forged and fairly flat and straight. Its back to the surface grinder to remove the scales. and bring to the thickness I want for the blade. Heres a quick picture of the the pattern. at this point.

I profiled the blade shape and drilled all my holes and Heat treated the blade. At this point, I mark the center of the blade edge.. and started grinding!
    Im doing a flat grind so I am using my NWG with flat platen.. Because I did the HT first using new sharp belts is crutal to avoid overheating the blade when grinding.

Good start!!

After a few hours and a couple 50 G belts.. The main bevels are done.

Now, I switch grinders and take it to a mirrior finish. I didnt get any pics of this, But I used Norax belts and ran through them from 100 Microns to 15 microns Also very importance to use new belts and take your time when grinding or shaping after heat treating.

Then a quick dip in ferric acid to reveal the damascus pattern. )
    Heres a few more pics. of the blade

Im really pleased with the pattern and the grind. This will be one bad to the bone slicer!!

Thank for looking, I hope this has been as much fun for you guys as it has for us. There will be one more post on this as soon as I get the handles fitted...

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

That damascus pattern is very cool! Thanks for all the WIP pics -- it's great learning how something like this is made. Someone is getting a pretty sweet-looking knife!

Its my pleasure to do this WIP. Im glad your liking it..

Availible Knives

Very cool! Glad to see progress on this. I like the pattern, profile and handle outline. Got any measurements for the blade yet?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Boy howdy that is some stark contrast on that etching.

Can't wait to see the handle! Glad to see you back, Mr. Haas.

Thanks John, Its good to be here.. For the handles Im planning on Mosaic damascus bolsters with Corian handles and stainless pins. should be very edgy and have great contrast between the blade and handle as well!

Johnny, I still measure most everything in Inches. but will try and convert to MM. If I miss a important measurement. Please ask..

OAL 420 mm or 16 1/2"
    Blade length 290 mm I was shooting for 288mm
    Blade height at the heel 45 mm
    Spine width 3.05 mm
    edge thickness is. right around .55 to .60 mm
    I haven't put my final edge on her yet.

Availible Knives

Really neat to see how this is done. Would love to see this happen in person someday.

That is just so wicked cool Randy. The process, the pictures, the blade, the pattern, I feel privileged just to see it all come together like this. I hope we get to see more of this kind of thing in the future.
    - Sean

Thank Sean, Were surly having fun doing the WIP. and always enjoy making the knives!

stopbarking, I have extended the offer a few times to others and still no takers.. BUT, If your ever in Michigan, look me up. I would be happy to have you come by and visit the shop. forge some steel and enjoy a meal.. Etc..

Availible Knives