Japanese Knives Japan Trip 2012

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBroida

KKF Vendor
Founding Member
Reaction score
Our Annual Japan Trip

japan-trip-'12-animation.gif

When Sara and I first started Japanese Knife Imports, we decided that every year we would head back to Japan to spend time with the craftsmen we work with- working on new projects, training and learning about sharpening and blacksmithing, traveling to new areas and meeting new craftsmen, and so on. Because we work directly with most of the craftsmen we deal with, this personal connection is a very important part of our business. This trip also gives us an opportunity to improve our skills in sharpening and our understanding of knives (through the study of blacksmithing, handle making, saya making, etc.).

This year we will be traveling to Japan from September 19th 2012 to October 20th 2012. During this time, our store will be closed and we will not be shipping out orders. However, you are more than welcome to place orders through our website during this time. All orders placed during this time will be shipped out when we return from Japan (most likely on October 22nd 2012… the first weekday after we return). Orders placed before 3pm PDT on September 18th 2012 will be shipped out before we leave for Japan.

While in Japan, we will be traveling to various cities and meeting with a number of craftsmen. We will do our best to post updates to our blog, facebook, twitter, instagram, and whatever else we can. You can find our blog at blog.japaneseknifeimports.com , follow us on twitter @JKnifeImports, or search us out on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/JapaneseKnifeImports .

If you need to reach us at japan, we will be checking e-mails regularly (though our response may be a bit delayed). Please send e-mails to either [email protected] or [email protected] . You can also reach us via skype (username- JBroida) or by calling (310)594-7802 (our skype number). We will also do our best to check voicemail at the store whenever possible.

Thank you so much for your patience and understanding… see you guys when we get back. I promise to take lots of pictures and video again this year.

-Jon and Sara

... I just noticed that Jon actually puts serious posts here. I only put food and other random stuff :( Don't get me wrong though - I'm the serious one @ JKI in real life.

Have a nice trip you two :D I wished i could make it in one of your visets in Japan
I will go again next year

... I just noticed that Jon actually puts serious posts here. I only put food and other random stuff :( Don't get me wrong though - I'm the serious one @ JKI in real life.

Jon's are very short though. You can beat him by telling us more.

Jon's are very short though. You can beat him by telling us more.

:goodpost: i have to be very careful though... he finds misspelling and other things in my writing to make fun of me as much as he can

:goodpost: i have to be very careful though... he finds misspelling and other things in my writing to make fun of me as much as he can

Nah... I'll bet that is just your own neurosis. Japanese are too worried about such things and it can hold them back with languages a bit. I make typos myself, and haven't you seen some of the bad grammar by other members here? A disgrace! :lol2: ... Meanwhile, you can tell Jon - directly from me, for I am a teacher - that his capitalisation and punctuation often leaves a little to be desired. :joec:

Our somewhat "formal" attire in Japan. Weather didn't really cooperate.... it was mushiatsui :(

20120925092509.jpg

It must have really been mushiatsui. Jon is drinking Pocari Sweat!

Are those part of a new line you'll be carrying?

Are those part of a new line you'll be carrying?

i'm sure you know well by this point that we are always working on new things... some work out well and other do not, so we just have to test and see. Thats my favorite part of the job anyways ;)

there are a ton of new photos and videos on our facebook, twitter, and youtube pages... click the links in my signature line to check them all out. More to come later...

[video=youtube;wf-YhQQWIV8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf-YhQQWIV8&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Just to prove we're still working hard on the knife stuff...

[video=youtube;lsqkwE44r24]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsqkwE44r24[/video]

Wow, that was somewhat convincing as an endorsement of Sakai. But 'beautiful'? Well, the sunset was, and there's lots of history behind the place too, but beautiful might be a bit strong. I liked it because it was kind of non-descript, but the origin of so many fine blades, which gave a treasure-hunt kind of feel to it. Be honest, Jon, you're not so in love with the Sakai view. It's more like that warm sunny glow is reflecting the anticipation and blade-love within.

i'm sure you know well by this point that we are always working on new things... some work out well and other do not, so we just have to test and see. Thats my favorite part of the job anyways ;)

Good point...can't wait to see what you come up with. I might actually have some real money by the time you're back, but we'll see.

Just to add, I don't know...I wouldn't mind visiting some of those kofun. It's pretty bada** to have those in the middle of huge cities.

Jon, what would the horizontal grinding wheel be made of? Do they have one very coarse one or a series of finer grits?

Jon, what would the horizontal grinding wheel be made of? Do they have one very coarse one or a series of finer grits?

just the same as the smaller sharpening stones we often use, there are many different types. The main difference is that they all need to be ok in higher speed operation. There are a number of grits and some people have multiple wheels set up, while others change wheels. Some people only use one grit and finish on other machines/stones. Its a lot of personal preference/how they were trained.

working on it... still at the store getting ready to re-open tomorrow if that gives you an idea of how busy we are ;)

working on it... still at the store getting ready to re-open tomorrow if that gives you an idea of how busy we are ;)

Well, stop messing around on the forum and get back to work!

I'm sure Sara will be wrapping away for some time...

Welcome back, Jon.

Welcome back, it isn't the same around here without you 2 .

Back