Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Katos in Stock

The Kanji we decided with the blacksmith him self. So it should be good
    So i will not change that i think it is workhors thats why we name it like that !
    It is not Meaningful or Beautiful so it fits it very well

On the handles as i said above bernd chestnut is backordered and i will first get it in 1 or 2 month and next Kato Gyutos in 3 -4 month
    Kato do not make many kitchen knives so waiting time on them will be approx same as on Shigefusa

Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    I almost pull the trigger, until I find the new "workhorse" Kanjis...hmmmmm...I'm sorry but Its little strange if you can read Kanjis-"馬車馬"! "馬" meaning "horse", "車" means "a carriage/a cart" & another "馬"-horse?? you can also translate as "馬車, 馬"-a horse of horse-drawn carriage or a horse of horse-drawn vehicle?? I don't think its meaning even close to "workhorse" really meaning!! and it does sound odd too! I wonder if you can order one with burnt chestnut handles and no "workhorse" kanji ??
    Interesting and, for me, quite funny to find complaints about this! I can completely understand if you can read kanji and don't like the message on a knife that you'll be turned off; same as if it were in English, for example, and you didn't like it. Of course most people would have no clue and if the kanji said 'heart of the moon' or 'fart and moon' they wouldn't know and it wouldn't matter!

To me, though, 'workhorse' sounds fine. There are plenty of names around - Everlast, Duracell, Diesel, Mustang, etc - that make a product sound 'tough' which is what you'd want with a knife. And to my ear 'Heart of the moon' doesn't sound great in English, but names originating from Chinese characters usually don't. Take Korean names for example, where Samsung just means '3 stars' and LG used to be 'Lucky Gold Star' which both sound kind of cheap, I think. 'Heart of the moon' is poetic and nice, but has no connection to knives. It is, however, typically Japanese and I'm sure sounds good in Japanese. Things don't have the same effect when we translate.

Quote Originally Posted by maxim View Post
    The Kanji we decided with the blacksmith him self. So it should be good
    So i will not change that i think it is workhors thats why we name it like that !
    It is not Meaningful or Beautiful so it fits it very well

On the handles as i said above bernd chestnut is backordered and i will first get it in 1 or 2 month and next Kato Gyutos in 3 -4 month
    Kato do not make many kitchen knives so waiting time on them will be approx same as on Shigefusa
    hi Maxim: I just think great knife like this deserve better name than "horse-cart-horse" or "a horse of horse-drawn vehicle"! please ask more people(Japanese & Chinese ) who knows Kanjis for more opinions or just put on blacksmith's name like most Japanese knives do without naming the knife.when you name something "vulture" is cool; however, if you translated into "the bird with bald-headed" is lame!!

Me, I think I prefer 'bird with bald head'!

Anyway, poor Maxim. Cclin, you're giving him a hard time.

I have 2 theories: First, 馬車馬 may mean 'workhorse' and literally 'horse-cart-horse', but perhaps it's nuanced and better in Japanese and something is missing if you read Chinese, which I'm guessing is your first language. Second, the maker, Kato, agreed to name it this too, so he could also think it's a nice name, but on the other hand might have just been humouring Maxim as Japanese tend to expect weirdness and odd ideas from foreigners anyway and will still go along with things as they try to be polite and think foreign oddness is just normal. If you requested 'bald headed bird' kanji for a knife, I can imagine a Japanese reacting, 'Ah so desu ka? Hai. Daijoubu desu.'

無毛と鳥 - perhaps I will have this kanji on my own line of knives.

Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    hi Maxim: I just think great knife like this deserve better name than "horse-cart-horse" or "a horse of horse-drawn vehicle"!
    According to my Japanese friend, you shouldn't read the two characters separately, so performing a literal translation into "horse-cart-horse" is incorrect, and something even you said should be avoided, as it sounds like something you would get from an automatic mechanical translator.

Quote Originally Posted by markenki View Post
    According to my Japanese friend, you shouldn't read the two characters separately, so performing a literal translation into "horse-cart-horse" is incorrect, and something even you said should be avoided, as it sounds like something you would get from an automatic mechanical translator.
    Yup, translation software tends to handle some languages better than others, too. And Japanese isn't one of them!

hehe you guys making to big deal out of it if you dont like Kanji dont buy that knife
    There is many Kanjis that translates weird and even some names. Most importent to me is a knife.

There is not only Kato that excepted the Kanji but also my Japanese friend who i trust a lot.
    We make own Kanji to our knives because they are made different then one he makes normal. I also pay extra to make them better.

But its cool that this Kanji became controversial It reflect that knife a lot

[QUOTE=maxim;142999]hehe you guys making to big deal out of it if you dont like Kanji dont buy that knife
    Great... more for us
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

'Guy' not 'guys' - only cclin was worried about it. It was a language discussion for me.

You could have "I love Cheese" on the side of this knife and id still buy another in a heartbeat. After a few weeks bonding time i cannot express how good a knife this is! Get those triggers pulled!